Sunday, January 3, 2010

the locavore way

A great little book hit the presses recently, and I wanted to share it with you. It's called The Locavore Way by Amy Cotler. It's a beginner's guide to eating locally and understanding food economies. It's not what you think, which to some might be a scary anti-industrial food book with pictures of confined feeding operations and charts about cloned corn. Nope, this is a kind, light, read with beautiful illustrations and good advice. It covers all the options we have now from CSAs to farmers markets, small farms, and how to get local food at the grocery store too. There are recipes, dining out guides, and even beginner gardener advice. It's the kind of book every farmers market in America should have on a rack. Its best feature is the chapter on building community—a theme the book never stops singing. Amy knows the importance of putting farmer's names to our food and learning how to get involved. Also, people with similar food values have a lot in common, and learning to eat local may not only help our health and environment - it may make you some new friends. You'll find some mighty cool people at those weekend markets. (I think it's the new dog park for blind dates.) The book costs less than a large pizza, so pick up a copy and make your own at home instead!

11 Comments:

Blogger melinamarie said...

This looks great. I'm on my way to the coop to buy locally grown food. The menu for my wedding reception last June was based on local food. My guests are still talking about the food. There are so many good things about locally grown food is good for the environment, local economy, and it tastes better too.

January 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger CityHippie said...

Looks fab. Jenna, I just reviewed YOUR book on my own blog this week, cityhippienyc.blogspot.com.
Keep up the good work!

January 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger RayMan said...

J,

Just ordered the book from Amazon.

P.S.
The pancake recipe was most delicious especially wit 1/2tsp. of Saigon cinnamon added.
Thanks!

January 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
OpenID localnourishment said...

The social aspect of local food is one of my favorite things. My farmer's market is my social outing for the week. I check in with all my favorite people in the whole world and hear about the triumphs and struggles in their corner of the planet.

People who complain about "having to go to the store" are especially good marks for getting an earful. Knowing my food source has become such a joyous thing!

January 3, 2010 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I'll have to hit the library up for this one next. I finished your book the other night and I loved every page of it. I can hardly bring myself to take it back to the library. :( April can't come fast enough!

I finally found a farm up in Indiana that raises all it's own meat and sells it at affordable prices. And I also found an awesome little organic food store too! It'll be worth the hour drive to get good healthy food, I'm so happy to finally be part of the locavore community!

January 3, 2010 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger ashley english said...

i'm definitely checking this out. would make a great gift, too.

January 4, 2010 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Looks like a terrific book! In unrelated goodness, I was just at the California Academy of Sciences, where I saw your shiny face in the climate change exhibit. I did a lil' fist pump in your honor. Nice!

January 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Natalie? Where did you see me? Why and How?!

January 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Leiflet said...

I just checked out The Righteous Porkchop from our library. I'll let you know what i think, but i already think i'm gonna love it.

January 4, 2010 at 3:22 PM  
Blogger Pretty Neat Designs said...

I got this book for Christmas and signed up for my first ever CSA for New Years! I'm trying to educate myself and make small changes.

January 7, 2010 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Earth Witch said...

Looks lovely. Maybe the seller will be willing to hold the mortgage. It might be a good deal for both of you.

January 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home