Friday, January 1, 2010

good morning from a snowy cabin in the woods

Good morning from a snowy first day of 2010. It's a three day weekend for me, and for many people. I'm making the best of it by spending as much time holed up in this cabin as possible. I want to write, sew, and tend to the animals. I toyed with the idea of making an epic trip 45 minutes north to Rutland to buy yarn and fabric but decided to order some online instead and wait. The world will not be less if Jenna Woginrich sews up her corduroy messenger bag next weekend instead.

I'm at that point in a weekend morning where the farm chores are done and the rest of the day hasn't started yet. Outside the sheep are in the pasture chomping away at their pile of hay, and inside the dogs are sleeping to the record player. I have Fleet Foxes on the turn table now. The song White Winter Hymnal is playing and it is beyond perfect for a world covered in snow. (It's also the song that makes trudging through knee-high snow with forty-pound water buckets delightful.) Sub Pop put out a beautiful double LP for Fleet Foxes self titled album and the packaging itself makes me happy.

What I love about records is the size and biography. I love the detailed sleeves, lyric sheets, and liner notes. One time my friend Nisaa and I were in a record store and she pointed out the inside jabs and jokes on Paul McCartney's LP of Ram. There was one black beetle, um, how do I put this delicately, "enjoying the company" of another beetle on the back side of the old record case. A passive aggressive jab at his old band, based on the falling outs. I felt like she was teaching me secret code on an ancient text, but about my own pop culture instead of some canopic jar. I cracked up and instantly was glad Nisaa and I were friends. She knows music, and you don't get that kind of gold when you download songs.

Well darling, that's my soundtrack and my morning. Hope all of you are having an equally peaceful start to this new year.

13 Comments:

Blogger kakimbr said...

Happy New Year and may God bless you Miss Jenna...You are wished all the best in the coming year...

January 1, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Are you wearing your scarf of red to keep your little head from falling in the snow? LOL

I love Fleet Foxes!
Happy New year.

January 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger MIB said...

Too funny--my husband and I went out to look at a draft horse for sale this morning and were listening to Sonos's cover of that song, which I highly recommend getting hold of, if you have the chance.

Best wishes for 2010, Jenna and all you other Antlerites.

January 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger cathy said...

Happy New Year!

I love White Winter Hymnal,and it's the perfect song for a New England winter. Which reminds me I have to go and shovel my driveway now.

January 1, 2010 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Do you have a pattern, for the message bag, that you could share? I would love to make that my next project.

January 1, 2010 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Brenda, I'm using the book Sew What! Bags by Lexi Barnes, it's amazing. It's not so much patterns as patternless common sense methods to sew up things.

January 1, 2010 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Jenna, have you heard of the band Mumford and Sons? They're British, folky and energetic (and just came on the radio in my living room!) Their album is called Sigh No More, but check out the song Little Lion Man. If you like Fleet Foxes I think you'll like these guys.

Happy New Year!

January 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Can't no band do a round quite like Fleet Foxes. WWH is one of my faves.

It's blustry, gray and rainy here in FL today. The closest we get to snow.

Yeah, we made it to 2010!

January 1, 2010 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Thanks for the book title Jenna, I will check that out. Both your blog and your book have been so inspiring, keep writing.

January 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger ashley english said...

once again, the parallels are uncanny. i've been on a thom yorke/fleet foxes loop for days. bravo, mountain kin, bravo. happiest of new years to you!

January 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

OMG! I'm envious that you're able to listen to White Winter Hymnal in a snowy mountain setting. Must be heaven. And I agree with your love of vinyl - we've run out of room on our shelves and now have stacks of vinyl on the livingroom floor. So much for paring down...

January 1, 2010 at 11:42 PM  
Blogger Joleen said...

Happy New Year to you and your little farm family Jenna. I wish you all the happiness in the world for the new year and will be watching as more of your dreams come true in 2010 - it's going to be a great one!

January 2, 2010 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Jenna...how I live to read your blog every day!! I'm pulling for you as I'm sure everyone on here is. You are such a talented writer and you make so many people happy with that talent. Keep up the awesome work. I see a farm of your own in the not so distant future. God bless and Happy New Year!!!

January 4, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home