Sunday, January 3, 2010

fiddle workshop update

I've slotted the weekend of February 20th as the Saturday for the beginner fiddle workshop here at the farm. About four people contacted me and I have faith we'll find a fifth. If you have no idea what I'm talking about—last week I announced a four hour intro-to-fiddle workshop for people who want to learn old time mountain music but have no idea how. (Of course, musically experienced folks are welcome too!) But if you are free that weekend, and always wanted to learn, email me to make arrangements and such. I plan on hosting it from 11 AM - 3 PM, and if anyone comes from out of town (or wants to stick around) we can plan on going out to dinner that night as a group in Manchester. Maybe hit up Northshire books too. You know, make a day of it.

The point of the workshop of course is to help beginner fiddlers find their feet using the Native Ground method. I'll have beginner materials for all the people who come, you just need a fiddle (and no problems with large sleddogs who may demand you keep scratching them if you sit on my couch). The other point is to put some more coin in the farm fund, which is what will be the nest egg that gets me in the door of my own home this spring (god willing). So please, come over and learn to tune, bow, rosin up and play with us. It'll be a lot of fun and a way to meet folks who share your love of music, farming, and fresh eggs. Plus, you'll be helping your gal Jenna turn the key to the dream.

4 Comments:

Blogger Georgia said...

This may be just the thing to get me re-energized about my fiddle! I'll email you :)

January 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Robj98168 said...

Sounds like fun... a little bit out of my way (like a whole nation) And besides I play Uke not fiddle, although I used to pick one up and play twinkle Twinkle(or something oddly like it) at grandmas

January 3, 2010 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

As my friends say when I'm about to give a harp concert: "Break a string!" What a great idea for not only growing your little nest egg, but for keeping music in your life and inspiring others. Music heals and helps so many things.

January 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

I am envious of the time you all will be having at your workshop. My poor little guitar is getting repaired this week, so I will be dusting off my fathers fiddle and giving it the attention it deserves. I suppose I'll be having my own beginner fiddle workshop for one here in Northern Michigan.

I've been following your journey for a couple of months now (i'm one of those silent, but present, twenty-something, locavore, sustanability-driven, musical-minded, male readers) and I am rooting for you one hundred and ten percent. This summer I hope to make the big plunge into finding my own patch of earth (and little slice of heaven) to grow vegetables and music and community from and stitch it into this great-big-beautiful quilt of life.

You're doing something wonderful out there. Keep it up and rosin that bow!

January 4, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home