Wednesday, December 30, 2009

the remedy

Meet Clark. Clark is my music station/coffee mug holder at the office. (His brother Gable, is here in the living room). He reigns over my two monitors in my work station and holds my vintage pioneer headphones, burned cds, and Fire King mugs. I think I'm the only person on my floor with a dead animal filing system at my desk? It's okay. I know someone on the third floor wins the contest. They have a bear head by their computer. (Hey, at least mines utilitarian.) I work at a colorful place and my coworkers kindly tolerate me. Some have even become close friends. Hell, they don't even blink an eye when tiny styrofoam coolers of livestock antibiotics are delivered to my desk...

Today a small refrigerated box holding fast-acting penicillin and syringes came to work. I'd ordered the medicine when Maude was looking pathetic, but since she's returned to full health I won't be doping her up for kicks. I'm am glad to know the medicines in the fridge as I write you. Some day it may save a life.

So, I now live a life where designing corporate web sites and listening to audiobooks is interrupted by the delivery of overnighted sheep meds. This is the kind of right angle in your day that throws your whole life into a more understandable order. I like it when I'm designing on my computer at the cabin or when the farm kicks down the office door like that. Balance, son. Balance and antlers in everyplace I call my own.

I'm enjoying these nights here at the cabin. Outside the nearly full moon hits the snow and it is so bright out there I can see the whole neighborhood. I can spot a buck waltzing through the hollow from a hundred yards away. I don't even need the lantern on my night rounds to move across the farm. The moonlight makes the place feel smaller too, like a still from an old movie. I worry if I walk too far out of my yard I'll discover it's actually a movie set and the buck below me was just a prop guy that lashed Clark to a great dane. At the risk of blowing my own reality, I'll keep the existentialism at bay and just stay within the property lines. It feels safe here. If things get rough we just figure it out or learn to heal. Afterall, if things get hairy the remedy's in the fridge.

16 Comments:

Blogger Tony C. said...

And a yo-yo champion too?

Tony in Asheville.

Had to ask.

December 30, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Blogger Angi said...

That is awesome!

December 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger jenomnibus said...

I'd love to see a random sampling playlist of what you've been listening to lately....

December 30, 2009 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

A reader mailed me that, and the trappers cabin poster comes from Joel himself of the band.

Currently listening to:

Drugs, Sex, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman (audiobook)
Ryan Adams, some live shows
Deertick
Bon Iver
Johnny Cash
Dylan (nashville skyline)
Band of Horses
The Arcade Fire
Decemberists
and of course...
Iron and Wine

December 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

(mailed me the yo yo patch)

December 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Butts said...

Had "mice on ice" delivered to my work once to feed my pet snake! Let me tell ya, even though I work in natural resources, that freaked some folks out! I think the whole owning a snake as a pet thing was what really got them. Now that we live in the woods we just feed her the ones we trap that come in!

December 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Don't forget, this is a blue moon tonight. Extra specialness while doing the chores.

And by the way, the earphones that are "vintage"? My Dad had a pair when I was a kid, and I used them to listen to my records or the radio when I was a wee one. Now I feel old. It's bad enough hearing music from when you were a kid on an oldies station, but to see stuff you used as a kid labeled vintage or retro? I'm gonna go check out the Ensure tomorrow.

December 30, 2009 at 10:47 PM  
Blogger Mancelona Woodswoman said...

Now we have two more things in common Jenna (besides Siberians/sheep/chickens, etc.). Fire King mugs and Pen-G on ice.

You'll sleep better knowing it's there...trust me. ;)

December 30, 2009 at 11:05 PM  
OpenID 6512andgrowing said...

We've had honeybees, ladybugs and lacewing larvae delivered to us. Such fun packages to receive.

Glad Maude didn't need the antibiotics this time.

December 30, 2009 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Robj98168 said...

That is one good lookin file system/cup holder

December 30, 2009 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Mountain Man said...

Representin! My cube at work is crazy but not this crazy. Way to go Jenna.

December 31, 2009 at 12:25 AM  
OpenID tamitng said...

When I worked in a cube in Germany we use to have beach parties on snow days. We'd put rice mats on the floor as sand. We'd wear shorts, tanktops & sun shades and bring lawnchairs & beach towles. We had a grand time. Cube life makes for close friends.

December 31, 2009 at 12:56 AM  
Blogger Aydan said...

Balance, son. Balance and antlers in everyplace I call my own.

I should not have taken a drink of water right before I got to this sentence. Happily, my laptop screen remains unsullied.

I think the strangest thing I've ever had delivered was a certain type of juvenile fly, but I've gotten a lot of those over the years.

December 31, 2009 at 8:37 AM  
OpenID localnourishment said...

"The moon on the breast of the newfallen snow gave a luster of midday to objects below."

It's one of my favorite things about snow. I miss it so.

(Back before I knew exactly what they did,) I worked for a startup biotech company. They'd have parties every Friday night after work hours. I'd chat with the scientists from the labs, the receptionist from the front desk, the VP in his three-piece suit. It was fantastic. Really knit the employees together. Well, that and the bowling team and book club...

December 31, 2009 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Love it!!

January 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

August 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home