Sunday, December 13, 2009

homebodies

I was outside early this morning. Part of me was fighting off cold and the other part was working on the sheeps' water tank. I had bought a defroster the day before in Bennington and was trying to read the installation instructions while crouched down near my munching flock. All three of my sheep were on the other side of the fence chewing the hay I just plopped at their feet. Occasinionally they'd lift their head in my direction as I mumbled between box, paperwork, and contraoption. When the defroster was installed and no one got electrocuted in the process: I considered it a small victory. No more cracking hooves through ice. No more dumping heavy rubber containers of igloo bricks. A little civility was delivered to the farm today.

After the water tank was set I headed over to the coop to grab the big white plastic bucket to refill the chicken fonts. Cyrus and Saro (who long ago learned what the white bucket stood for) followed me, waddling in the hard packed snow. I filled the bucket and set it aside for them to dunk their heads in and drink while I stacked more cord wood on the house pile. They drank and preened and I went about my chores. Then, overhead a flock of wild geese broke the quiet, causing a ruckus as they flew. I looked up but couldn't see them. They had to have been above the gray clouds. Then I looked over at my pair of geese and watched them react to the sounds of their wild cousins. Sometimes I wonder if they too want too take off? Cyrus looked up sideways, tilting his head at the sound, not moving or drinking. He seemed to be considering his options. I watched in anticipation. After a brief pause he dunked his head back in the bucket with a loud splash. I laughed and smiled as I went back to the wood pile.

Travel isn't for everyone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Smart geese. They know they're living the good life!

December 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger aerogramme said...

It is sometimes depressing to read your blog when it comes to your geese ... as most part of my familly are living close to Toulouse France and I still have a bunch of friends other there ... the conforting part is that yours won't be fattened for fat liver :) After all noorth Amreica is not all that bad for some Occitan native

December 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Reminds me of the time my huge, hairy, white cat ("Harry") was sitting on my lap. I was watching Animal Planet and when a lion roared, Harry lifted his head, looked around, and settled back down to sleep.

King of his cushy kingdom, he!

December 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Fallen Oak said...

A hard layered- wild pack story.

December 13, 2009 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger BJ Gingles said...

I would love to know what was going thru his brain at that time...but I guess it doesn't really matter too much. He seemed quite content to continue his preening.

December 14, 2009 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger twistie said...

lol, not being travelers.... cute!

December 14, 2009 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

I just read your book "Made From Scratch" and I love your blog!

December 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home