Friday, November 6, 2009

snow, mush, and eggs

It did snow last night, only a dusting. But it was something else to walk out onto my porch last night and see the fat flakes covering the cabin and grass. I grabbed the lantern and let it down on the lawn to take photographic evidence. While doing this, I could hear Joseph crying from the sheep pen and then remembered this was his first experience with the white stuff. It must be confusing to be a black sheep in a snowfall. Especially if you're new at it.

Driving to the office this morning was epic. I noticed all the mountains were capped in white all around Sandgate. It was perfect. Like a giant took a powdered sugar sifter and topped them off. My hollow wasn't high enough to take the hit, but I appreciated seeing the possibility of it all around me.

I'm looking forward to this winter. I'm prepared with wood and heating fuel and the dogsled's already been dusted off. I think (I worry) this will be the dogs' last big season in harness. Next year Jazz will be ten and already he has to place a paw on the bed now to leap up and join me at night. He used to just fly up, like a gazelle. Now he needs a little support. Might be a sign his distance days are behind him. We'll play it by ear and long as he wants to pull, he will. Just not as far or hard—gentler runs, more downhill.

Cyrus, the goose you see here, is the only goose you'll see around Cold Antler now. Don't worry, his girl Saro is just fine but she's pretty damn occupied. She's been sitting on a giant clutch of goose eggs for days now. Some have never known the world away from her down, which isn't like her. Usually Saro sits for a few days and gets bored and leaves, but not this time. She's been stalwart and true. Every evening I carry the water font and feed to her, and she obliges with long gulps. Cyrus waddles up when I do this, hissing the whole time, but in a way gets that this is room service and not terrorism and lets me go. There's a chance for some goslings here and that's exciting. I'll keep you posted.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I know, snow season is not far off. It just means you'll have to enjoy every minute this year of mushing! And how exciting about Saro!!! I can't wait to see the first coldantlerfarm goslings!!!!!

November 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Good luck to you ColdAntler Mama! I had goslings growing up and they were so darn cute! I wish you luck!
BTW...did I miss it...weren't we waiting for bunnies too?
Tami E.
Syracuse

November 7, 2009 at 12:15 AM  
Blogger finsandfeathers said...

Goslings in the bathroom for the Holidays! :>) Wait until Mom finds out....

ONe of my all time favorite photos is Cy and Saro walking down the gravel road. That's a great shot.

November 7, 2009 at 1:54 AM  
Blogger twistie said...

how cute would that be?!

November 7, 2009 at 4:31 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

After three false breedings, i am starting to worry. i may try one more time and move her indoors

November 7, 2009 at 7:13 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

(I was talking about the rabbits that last comment)

November 7, 2009 at 7:27 AM  
Blogger P said...

Good luck on goslings!!

November 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Stoltzfus said...

I am surprised Saro is sitting on a clutch. It's pretty early for that since they're seasonal breeders. Usually, when the days begin to get longer in January-February, it sparks breeding/nesting behavior. If you keep geese and chickens together, and artificially extend the daylight hours to improve the chickens laying, that could be the reason. That happened to me one year when I kept forgetting to turn off the barn light in a timely manner. And in my case, that first, out-of-season nest was abandoned and egg laying stopped until maybe March, then it began all over again and they had a very late clutch that hatched at the beginning of June. It'll be interesting to see how yours goes.

November 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Baby geese--awesome! We have some wild ones on our pond every summer & they're so fun to watch. Our dog just turned 10 this fall, and she's slowing down too. We've started giving her glucosamine tablets (liver-flavored) every day, and that has helped, but her age is showing. Still happy & sassy though!

November 8, 2009 at 11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home