Sunday, November 1, 2009

saving daylight

It's been abnormally warm here in Vermont and most of the people in my hollow seem to appreciate it. I realized while bumming around the cabin that sun-dappled afternoons may not be long for this season. So In a last-hurrah-of-Autumn ferver I leashed up the dogs and took them for a two mile walk in the glow. We passed a lot of neighbors doing the same thing, which made me kind of proud. Us Sandgaters know how to appreciate satiation while it lasts. Jazz and Annie padded beside me like puppies and I didn't even need a coat. A light wool sweater, two dogs, the ipod, and my hiking boots and I was on top of the world.

We did lazy Sunday things all afternoon. I cooked some lunch, did some writing, and when the indoors made me anxious I went outside to carry split hardwood to the wood pile near the house. I bet I held twenty infant fires in my arms and my shoulders are reminding me how heavy fire-babies can be. (I'm pretty sore.) I did the stacking as the sun was at that close, hot, time. I knew it would be dark an hour earlier so I had to work fast. I don't save daylight. I spend it.

Later, I came back to the house and caught Annie panting in the sun on the porch. Jazz had retired to his dog bed in the bedroom but my girl wanted those rays. She sprawled on the planks till the sun was all but gone. I went inside to get back to work instead of joining her on the stoop with a book. I think she knows more about the world than me. I think this all the time.

8 Comments:

Blogger tigress said...

she's gorgeous. and it sounds like you had a gorgeous day! :)

November 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger dogear6 said...

Do remember though to take time to just sit and enjoy the nice weather and some sunshine in your face. There are plenty of months of bad weather ahead.

It's a hard balance - there's work to be done all the time, but you also need to enjoy your life.

November 1, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Miss M.J. Ma'am said...

I've learned to savor the moment, but it sure has taken me a long time to do it! You are doing great, you sound happy, and that's what it is all about!

November 1, 2009 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger mySavioReigns said...

warm in Vermont = freezing in Texas.


:) Happy November.

November 1, 2009 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Sounds like a nice Sunday! I had to re-stack one of my firewood piles since the pooches decided to go chipmunk (or mouse) hunting & destroyed it. We're talking Godzilla vs. Tokyo here. Since I found no dead critters (and the dogs won't eat them), I assume it got away safely (what a shocker). :)

November 1, 2009 at 11:53 PM  
OpenID localnourishment said...

"I don't save daylight. I spend it."

Mm. Delicious thought. Gonna do some spending today.

November 2, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Jen Chandler said...

What a wonderful day!
Love the quote: "I don't save daylight, I spend it." Think I'll put that one on the fridge :)

November 2, 2009 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger elephant said...

Hey, nice site you have here! Keep up the excellent work!
buggies for sale

September 30, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home