Monday, November 9, 2009

just some

It was peculiar day, unseasonably warm. After chores were done and the farm was put to bed, I went inside to make a cup of tea and tune my fiddle. I carried him outside (all my fiddles are hims) and set myself down on the north side of the porch, hanging my legs off the edge while I sat. In lantern light, in the balmy 50-degree wind, I was very quiet and sipped my tea. I sipped tea and watched the dark woods. No sheep or goat broke the silence. They were buried in their evening hay.

I set down my cup and played my fiddle for the forest. Just a few songs as a thanksgiving for the respite from the cold. It was kind of this farm to be warm, and in appreciation I put on a small concert. Tonight my hollow heard my lone fiddle cry out with Pretty Saro, Blackest Crow, and Amazing Grace. I'm not a great musician, but I can play those songs and it pleases me to hear them, which is enough. There is no one to impress.

I don't suppose there will be many more evenings this season like this. We hold onto them while we can.

Somewhere in the second verse of Blackest Crow I watched my shadow on the dead leaves and realized some of it was perfect. Just some.

16 Comments:

Blogger Fallen Oak said...

It Is All

November 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger andrewodom said...

I just wanted to point out that I, too, have that same Corell pattern on tea mugs, plates and bowls. What a great set!

We have kindred cups!

November 9, 2009 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Jen Chandler said...

This is beautiful, Jenna. The idea of playing music for the forest sets my soul at ease. A breath of fresh air for a too hurried life. Thank you.

Jen

November 9, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Funny how we can all be tied together by patterns on a cup. I have that cup as well.

Also, this is one of my favorite photos I've seen in a while. Thank you.

November 9, 2009 at 10:08 PM  
Blogger finsandfeathers said...

Sounds like it was perfect; all of it was perfect.... and beautiful

November 9, 2009 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger nese said...

What a lovely way to end the day. Thanks Jenna for sharing your little corner of the world with us.

November 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It was warm in the Finger Lakes area of NY last evening as well. I reveled in it. This fall has had too few days and nights like that. Far too much rain and unseasonable cold early on. What a wonderful tribute you played out to the farm, forest and hills. Perhaps the wild turkeys, the mating deer, owls and other woodland creatures paused and listened. Maybe the fairies dressed in seedpods, fallen leaves and acorn caps danced in abandon. Thank you for sharing your evening with us! Chris

November 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Patsy said...

God bless ya' Jenna.

November 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger BJ Gingles said...

I too, love the idea of playing for the forest. What a nice way to end the day.

November 10, 2009 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger twistie said...

My daughter and I are going to attempt to learn the fiddle after Christmas. I was inspired but your fiddlers challenge this summer and now just need 1 bow for my violin/fiddle. Still looking. Thank you for all your inspiration.

November 10, 2009 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger hlbrack said...

I was picturing you serenading your farm and it was such a beautiful picture! Those balmy days just before the cold of winter are such little blessings. Thanks for the lovely post!

November 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Sounds as if all was right.So nice of you to share your perfect
evening.

Thanks Jenna

November 10, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger kwogi1124 said...

I don't know if you remember this, but our grandma loved Amazing Grace. It was her favorite song. Having mom sing it on my wedding day was an homage to her, and to the women of that family. It touched my heart to hear you say you played it last night.

November 10, 2009 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

What a beautiful vision, I wish I could have heard you play. I am sure the forest loved it.

November 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM  
OpenID tamitng said...

I can't believe that you are only 27...

November 10, 2009 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

....playing to the forest....perfect

kary

November 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home