Monday, November 2, 2009

established support

That first day of daylight savings always hits us, doesn't it? I left the office at 5 and barely caught the last blue moments of dying light. Driving home from work I realized I forgot to put the porch light on before I left, meaning the cabin would be dark as all get out when I got home. When I pulled into the driveway I stepped out of the truck and was instantly caught off guard. I felt the rush of moving animals and heard a mini-stampede of hooves about 30 feet to my right. Four white tails flashed down the hill. I didn't even see the does behind the trees. I caught my breath, but hardly. A great horned owl started carrying on somewhere down the other side of the creek. I realized then that crows are my morning birds and owls are my nightwatch. I love my tame poultry, but I also like the company of wilder birds. The song birds are okay, but the talon set makes me feel safe. Did you know seeing a pair of crows is good luck? Probably not since that's a personal superstition of mine, but it's damn true.

The full moon above cast enough glow to stumble around in but I still needed to grab the flashlight I keep in the truck. As I made my way inside I could hear the confused bleats from Finn and the angry baas from the sheep. "Why weren't you here before it got dark, Lady?" they seemed to say. They had no idea where I was an hour ago. I let them bitch, they still got plenty of hay.

I have this flashlight attachment that came with my powertools and I love it. I use it all the time. However, tonight I discovered that you can't carry a five-gallon bucket of water in each hand and a powerful spotlight. I didn't want to be off balance and I didn't want to make two trips either. So I got a little randy and slid it into my shirt, perfectly balancing it within the confines of already established underwire support. Not exactly a class act, but a girls got to do what a girls got to do. I made my way around the pens and coop in perfectly light. Now, had you seen me waddling around the farm in the dark with two giant white buckets and a spotlight in my bra you would've died laughing. I giggled myself. But hell, it worked. I just hope those creepy owls weren't watching.

P.S. If you were a finalist or winner of Fiddler's Summer, can you please shoot me another email with your address? I have not forgotten you. I want to mail you your winnings. Life just got lifey and it took the backseat. I apologize.

19 Comments:

Blogger Conny said...

'A girls got to do what a girls got to do' ...with a little help from the "girls" too. That would've been something to chuckle about. Maybe one of those hiker's headlamps would work better - that's what I do. :>)

November 2, 2009 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

conny, noted.

November 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Dawn Dutton said...

I'd of love to seen you! funny....

November 2, 2009 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Or one of those baseball-style caps with built in LED lights.

November 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

You have just graduated Farma Cum Laude from hick school! WOOT!

November 2, 2009 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) said...

Gosh I forgot how dark it can be in the country till I read this post. We always have the street lights and the big night light that is mounted on our garage.
vickie

November 2, 2009 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger twistie said...

Oh what a vision you created, giggled out loud at your post tonight Jenna, just what I needed, thanks!

I'd say for certain you need a battery operated head light. I find the baseball leds too weak for my needs...

November 2, 2009 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger lemontreelane said...

instead of leaving your porch light on all day, could you buy a sensor that comes on when it gets dark or maybe install a timer? or what about using an indoor timer for a lamp that you leave in a window indoors but close to where you park, which would help you navigate to the porch so you could find the door to throw on the porch light??

November 2, 2009 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Rois said...

I use a head lamp too.

November 3, 2009 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Karen Sue said...

my youngest is the flashlight boy. For a while he never went anywhere without a flashlight or 3 on him. I call for him when needed and he is happy to shine his lights all over. He has a headlight one with a strap- these are a hit with the local Amish..and one that clips the the brim of hats, that is pretty cool. It is his Christmas Wish..more flashlights. While other kids negotiate a candy bar at the checkout, Bert is working the whole flashlight angle.. :o)

November 3, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

I miss that extra hour of light at the end of the day. I had to pick salad by flashlight after work last night - it works, but it is akward. I should get myself a headlamp, too!

November 3, 2009 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Catherine M. Benson said...

Try a head lamp. We couldn't live without ours. Sled dog chores require two hands and light!

November 3, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger P said...

loved that expression "life got lifey"...that's right up there with the excuse "I flaked" but sounds a whole lot better, so I will be using life got lifey from now on!

November 3, 2009 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Christie said...

I actually have an extra head light... I would be more than happy to send it to you. My boyfriend and I both hunt and while the thought of you running around trying to do farm chores like that makes me giggle, I guess I would rather you be able to concentrate on the two buckets you were carrying than potentially tripping and kicking one... :0)

November 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

The time change is a bizarre biannual event isn't it? I'm sure our furry, feathered, and scaled friends are often confused by our obsession with the clock and virtual indifference to the sun.

November 3, 2009 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Christie, that is amazing! email me!

November 3, 2009 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Take the free head lamp, by all means, but here are my two cents if you drop it in an outhouse or it meets any other untimely end:

My baseball LED is good only for walking one dog on a six foot leash on familiar turf!

Petzl headlamps with two options -- super strong, round lamp, and an LED next to it -- last forever, work in low temps, and it's so nice to have medium or strong light. Great for first aid moments, too.

November 3, 2009 at 9:42 PM  
Blogger daphnecybele said...

About crows being good luck in a pair... your superstition is similar to a saying about crows which perhaps you may already know but thought I'd share in case not... there are several versions, but the one I know goes "One is for sorrow, two is for joy, three is for a girl, four is for a boy, five for silver, six for gold, seven for a secret never to be told"...

November 5, 2009 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah. The headlamp, while possibly the dorkiest item of apparel in the universe, is essential in the winter when it seems to be dark all the time and four hands are necessary for all chores.

November 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home