Saturday, October 10, 2009

we clucked and we strummed

The four people who came to attend the workshop just left, and I think they had an okay time. Jeff, Jillian, Bobbie, and Jordan came from as close as two towns north and as far away as outside Boston. We did spend time inside by the fire learning basic dulcimer strumming patterns and taking turns playing for the group. (I hope they left with a solid idea of how to play the basics and where to go next if they like it....)

We spent time outside in the chicken coop talking about feeding, housing, lighting, and handling some birds. It was chilly, so we didn't spent a lot of time outdoors. It was nice to be in the kitchen full of others of like mind—talking about goats and winemaking and sharing our stories about coops and big plans. While I do feel questions were answered and dulcimers were played, I think most of us just wanted to learn from conversation and enjoy our homemade pizza and local brews with other homesteaders.

I think it was a success. Chuck didn't bite anyone. Maude didn't headbutt anyone (though the sheep did escape and hung out with us for a bit near the coop. Maude, would not come near us. Humans are "below her," I think). No one complained about the food, beer, or hard cider. Jillian suggested I do another workshop on knitting and fiddling next, which I think would be a blast. That would be a great winter weekend in the cabin.

Thank you to the readers who came to the farm. Take care of those dulcimers and keep practicing. And thanks for all who donate, write, read the blog, check in on me, buy books and send emails. Workshops like today made enough money to feed my sheep all winter—which means I can save more of my paycheck for that someday farm. Which as we all know, is the dream I'm crawling uphill towards.

10 Comments:

Blogger Otters said...

Oh, How I wish I lived closer. I want to learn to knit or crochet and have bought several of those beginners books. Still can't figure it out!

October 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) said...

Oh sounds like you had such fun-
yes a day at your place would be wonderful if we only lived closer.
vickie

October 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Hey Jenna,
I posted about this too, with a picture, here: http://bluehillstead.blogspot.com/

I had a great time!
Jordan

October 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM  
Blogger Rachel B. said...

Ah! A knitting and fiddle workshop! That would be a blast! I'm glad everyone had fun.

October 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Chelli said...

Would have LOVED to have been there!!

October 10, 2009 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

Thanks for this post for those of us who couldn't be there in person. I feel included.

I'm interested in a knitting/fiddling workshop. Could possibly make that in late winter. What are the closest airports to you? How far are you from Manchester (I have a homesteading friend there).

You're blog keeps me hopeful about my own dreams...

October 10, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time.
I wish I was there.
Greg

October 11, 2009 at 12:47 AM  
Blogger pattianne70 said...

If you decide to do a fiddle workshop, will you have an age limit? My 10 year old daughter signed up for the fiddle club at school, only to have it cancelled due to lack of interest which was very disappointing. She's in her second year of violin and takes Irish dance, so learning to fiddle is definitely on her list of things to do.

October 11, 2009 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Curtis said...

Glad you all had a great time , looking forward to the day I can join you for a workshop.

October 12, 2009 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Knitting and fiddling! Knitting and fiddling! That would be awesome.

October 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home