Sunday, October 4, 2009

the vermont sheep & wool festival

If you thought a bad cold could keep me away from the Vermont Sheep & Wool Festival, you'd be sorely mistaken. No cough or runny nose was going to stop this future farmer from jumping in her orange pickup and heading north to be among her favorite people, the wooly people. That weird breed of New Englander that still raise sheep, spin yarn, knit their own sweaters and know how to throw a good party.

I left the farm around ten. I stopped at Wayside to fuel up on pumpkin coffee and Dayquil. I'm pretty sure that was the magical combination that fought away any real sickness and kept me smiling as I turned up the radio and drove towards Killington. I've been listening to a lot of Deer Tick lately. A band that is hard to describe but easy to love. Their song, Smith Hill (which is beautiful as it is miserable) seemed to be written for my Ford Ranger as it swooped and dove over the mountain roads to the festival. I could not help but sing along. As the lyrics growled "I could drink myself to death tonight. I could stand and give a toast. Here's to the one's that made it out alive: it's you I miss the most..." When the violins kick into the simple guitar chorus...damn. Made me wish my truck had wings.

The obscure location of the festival meant a lot of long hidden side highways and mountain climbs. Vermont is near her peak and the foliage along the way was mesmerizing. If any sniffles remained, I had willed them away with sheer, stupid, love. Good music and natural beauty are proof positive a remedy.

More on the festival tomorrow. This cold I'm fighting has me wanting rest...

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna M said...

Dang it! That *was* you in the cool felted hat! I wanted to say hi but I'm always afraid to intrude. I think we were at the Maple Creemee place at the same time.

The festival was lovely though and my drive down from the north was Gorgeous!

October 4, 2009 at 9:09 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Nothing like good music and natural beauty. Sounds like an awesome day.

October 4, 2009 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

Feel better. Colds are no fun. So energy sapping.
If you don't have elderberry syrup handy, which I assume you probably don't!, I swear by AIRBORNE for shortening a cold and just making you feel better. If you can find the nighttime ones, they are apple cider flavored and you drink them hot. It seems to help you just feel better.
Anyways, hope you feel better soon.

October 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie @ Woodside Gardens said...

Jenna, I noticed that you still call yourself a future farmer... you don't realize yet that you ARE a farmer! Its not just an ambition... you are doing it!

October 4, 2009 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Geraldine said...

I've been listening to Deer Tick nonstop the last few weeks, and "Smith Hill" is my absolute favorite track. Yay good music!

October 4, 2009 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger bookjunky said...

I second Jamie's comment.

Hope you feel better soon. Wish I coulda been at the festival!

October 4, 2009 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Sorry Anna. I wasn't at that joint or in a felted hat, i had on a jean jacket and bandana...

When I say future farmer, I just mean farming as my full-time job on my own land. You're right though!

October 5, 2009 at 6:23 AM  
Blogger amy said...

You went on Sunday? You had the better day, for sure. I went Saturday and it was... wet. To put it mildly. Still had a great time and bought lots of pretty pretty yarns and fibers. I'm so glad the festival moved to Tunbridge- closer to my neck of the woods. I hope it stays!

October 5, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home