Sunday, October 11, 2009

or so, she hopes

I ended up staying up well past midnight last night. In front of the fire, on a big brown sheepskin I wrote a song for the guitar. I rarely write music with lyrics. Hell, I rarely write music. I like learning songs, but last night I sat with a blank musician's notebook and scribbled down chords and words and played around with finger positions till I figured out a song. It's nothing great, but it's mine. I know the progressions by heart now, and it made the end of the day seem correct and elegant. Some nights it's just easier to sleep when you stayed up as late as you could making calluses on your fingers.

I think I was wound from all the company and activities. After the folks from the workshop left—and some late afternoon guests stopped by for coffee—I found myself puttering around the farm in the new sunlight. It had been a soppy morning (the kind that you have to dodge mushrooms to get to your car) but by late afternoon the sun came out and the farm opened up into this orange and green world. Young hens playing tag around the still-green pumpkins in the dying garden. I let the hooves graze and chopped wood. I still have a cord to stack waiting patiently in a hideous pile. I'll get to some of it today. Maybe. Honestly, all I want to do when my laundry is done in town is come home to a fire and a good meal. I'm a simple woman.


I was going to (read: supposed to) drive north to Westfield for the Fall Foliage Sheepdog Trials, but I discovered it would be about a four hour drive one way. After the cold, the weekend of guests, and the fact I have a pile of laundry...it seems unreasonable, which is a disappointment. But it also seems criminal to drive four hours to watch a trial when if you added another hour I could have dinner with my family in Pennsylvania if I drove south instead. So no fall sheepdog trials this year unless I make the NY sheep and wool Festival in a few weekends. But I'll catch up. I have a lifetime ahead of me of collies, fall trials, and stomping flocks. Or so, she hopes.

10 Comments:

Blogger karental said...

I would love to hear the song! I know the feeling of wanting to do one thing and needing to do another. Maybe the Fates knew you needed to be home today.

October 11, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger kate said...

That driving thing.... I hear you. Smart decision.

October 11, 2009 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Cristiona said...

FYI, the NY Sheep and Wool is this upcoming weekend (Oct 17 & 18). Not that I've been counting down the dates or anything...

October 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Dog Hair in my Coffee said...

NY Sheep and Wool - where is it held? I'm sure it's probably nowhere near me - nothing cool ever happens in Western NY, but just thought I'd check. I'm not opposed to driving - living out here in the boonies, you just get used to that. Although there are times when I, like you, have to weigh if the trip is worth it on that particular occasion. Sometimes the answer is yes, and other times, 4 hours in the car, one way, is just not something that's in the cards that particular day. But any information you can post on where it is, and what one might find there would be great. Also, any word on Bean Blossoms bunnies? I'm assuming it was another false pregnancy? Let us know. Stay warm, and happy.
Coffeedog

October 11, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) said...

The big brown sheepskin is what stands out in this story to me-not that I wouldn't want to hear your singing- but the sheepskin just sounds so warm.
vickie

October 11, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Rhinebeck I think? not too far from NYC really... (hint hint, New Yorkers...)

And that sheepskin was and is amazing.

October 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Karen Sue said...

Some days I just need to NOT GO...

October 11, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger TheRaspberryChicken said...

My girls and I are heading to NY for the festival next week. Maybe all of us should plan to connect at some point.

Lesa

October 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger ClarissaA said...

Rhinebeck is an awesome festival and if I didn't have a wedding to go to I'd be there. (Darn people who don't pay attention to the really important events and schedule around them......)
:~)

October 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger katiegirl said...

So I'm catching up reading your blog (from the beginning...started a few weeks ago) and came across this post. My good friends hosted that trial in Westfield on their farm. I used to live on the farm when they had dairy cows. Small world. :-)

January 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home