Tuesday, October 27, 2009

days away

Halloween is only days away and I am humming for it. I am so looking forward to that beautiful night. It is my favorite day of the year and I look forward to it as a farming adult like I looked forward to Christmas morning when I was six. As I grow older, I come to Halloween as my time for memories and reverence. I get quieter. I think more. I spend more time realizing I'm lucky just to be alive. Gary Snyder's great quote is always on this blog, but it rings truest on nights like tonight:

"...And when the children are safe in bed, at one of the great holidays like the Fourth of July, New Years, or Halloween, we can bring out some spirits and turn on the music, and the men and the women who are still among the living can get loose and really wild. So that's the final meaning of "wild"- the esoteric meaning, the deepest and most scary. Those who are ready for it will come to it. Please do not repeat this to the uninitiated"

Damn, Gary. I'd give up so much just to share one campfire with your grin and wisdom...

Already some of the CAF pumpkins have been carved in celebration. The one you see here is the same one I was holding in my arms earlier this month. It's a hell of a good feeling, enjoying your own homegrown pumpkins like this. Right now it's glowing at me as I type. Teasing me with that fox-toothed smile here in the living room. The fireplace is roaring, the record player is rasping, and Annie is asleep on the couch an arm's length from where I sit. The dishes are done, the coffee pot is ready for morning, and the magazine article I promised myself I'd work on is saved to my desktop. Outside all the animals are fat and happy, fed and sleeping. I did my day's work. It's all behind me now. Small reliefs like the end of a long day are welcome here. So very welcome. Throw in a few fiddle tunes, a long back stretch, and some hot tea and you've got yourself the happiest woman in Vermont.

I'm basking in the cabin's exhalations. I can't help it. It's damned near impossible not look around at the flickering shadows in awe. I lean back on the sheepskin in front of the fireplace and feel like the richest person in America. These silent nights of late October are the emotional postcards that are responsible for my addiction to homesteading.

They're also what I've have been waiting for, my fall, all year.

11 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I can feel your excitement through the screen! October is wonderful.

October 27, 2009 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

That jack-o-lantern is BAD ASS!

October 27, 2009 at 11:10 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Amen, amen, amen!

October 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

Great jack-o-lantern! Isn't October just the best?

October 28, 2009 at 3:57 AM  
Blogger P said...

My favorite month too. I was just admonishing my husband to slow down on our way into our neighborhood so that I could savor it- the trees turning fire-y colors against the evergreens and blue sky, with purple-gray clouds behind it all are enough to take your breath away. And this time is so fleeting and you have to wait a whole year for it again! I love autumn.

October 28, 2009 at 9:15 AM  
OpenID localnourishment said...

And when October goes
The snow begins to fly
Above the smokey roofs
I watch the planes go by
The children running home
Beneath a twilight sky
Oh, for the fun of them
When I was one of them
And when October goes
The same old dream appears
And you are in my arms
To share the happy years
I turn my head away
To hide the helpless tears
Oh how I hate to see October go

I should be over it now I know
It doesn't matter much
How old I grow
I hate to see October go

I'm not going to tell you who wrote it because you'd surely bristle, but isn't it lovely?

October 28, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Your October-enthusiasm is contagious! I've always liked the month and this time of year, but your writing makes it seem ever more magical.

October 28, 2009 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Nicholas Turbo Benson said...

Thats a punkin' to be proud of! It's good to hear about other fine people such as yourself getting as pumped about Halloween as yours truly! I just discovered your blog and I'll be back for more.

October 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM  
OpenID norcalrn said...

Okay Local- I've got to know who wrote that?!!!

Yay for Haloween and Fall and Pumpkins! :)

October 29, 2009 at 1:56 AM  
Blogger John from Taos said...

You might like this, from one who moved out to the country 35 years ago: Child of God.

What you're doing isn't new, but you do it very well. :-) All best, and thank you for the New England vibes...

October 29, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
OpenID localnourishment said...

Okay, I'll tell, but shhhhhh...


Barry Manilow

November 1, 2009 at 9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home