Wednesday, September 23, 2009

walking home

My neighbor Katie sent me this photo this morning. She took it in front of her home as the geese were walking back towards my road. Cyrus and Saro are never apart. They walk around my mountain hollow neighborhood as if it's their own. I'm lucky that the houses around mine are okay with the occasional visit from a pack of chickens or a pair of geese. Their open-yard policy ensures a free range life for my fowl. I'm much obliged.

I bought my first set of power tools yesterday—inspired by the collection of helpful gadgets Kathy and Marie brought when they helped build the fence. I didn't buy anything top of the line 9I'm on a tight budget) but I did procure a reciprocating saw, skill saw, drill and high-beam flashlight, all cordless in a set. Tools like these, and other hand tools have been a growing collection around the homestead. I had to buy my first ever tool box as well. It sits behind the seat in the truck, ready when I am to get work done.

I have three reserved spots at the Cluck & Strum and a few people I am waiting to get confirmation from. If you said you were coming and have yet to send in your information or donation, please let me know since I am ordering your books and instruments this week.

13 Comments:

Blogger Island Woman MJ said...

Sounds like you bought the Ryobi combo set! I almost bought that and then just got the drill. Should have bought them all, of course. But I love the lightness!

The path you've chosen is a tough one, but as you know, at the end of the day (after changing the tear laden pillowcase), it is worth it. Hang in, hang on, and keep letting us hear your stories. We're listening.

September 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

Jenna,

I used this picture as background on my desktop. Hope it is okay. I too have collected tools over the years but never an electric saw. Just don't know how to use one and would probably cut my fingers off. lol. Give Jazz and Annie some scratches from me.

September 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

Oh, that looks like "home" to me in the Eastern Maine mountains. I'm homesick here in Florida this time every year. I'm sure I'll change my mind by February (hungry month).

September 23, 2009 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Wicked cute ;)

September 23, 2009 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I love this picture! So cute!

September 23, 2009 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Karen Sue said...

So, if I got close, would them come to welcome me, or chase me away??

September 23, 2009 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

hay, so the love of tools has begun! check out

http://www.tomboytools.com/

real tools that are not wimpy "girly tools" but for women. i got myself a pink tool-belt, and it lasted way longer than any of the normal ones i had in the past, and it was more comfortable because it was made with hips in mind. my old boss through out the pink hammer i bought though; "no pink tools in my shop" he said. i dove into the dumpster to get it. the best hammer i ever had!

September 23, 2009 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

Great picture. Makes me homesick for rural living...

September 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger BetteO said...

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. It is a blessing to be on the journey with you.

September 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM  
Blogger linda said...

Ahhh....the picture has worked a miracle. The minute I looked at it I sighed and felt the tenseness in my muscles begin to relax. Beautiful.

Thank you for sharing.

September 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger P said...

I checked out that site for tomboy tools- I'll say one thing for pink tools- you'll never have to worry about a guy walkin' off with your stuff! I've been working tools for years- just completed a bookcase, media cabinet, daybed combo and just need to varnish it. All the tools in the garage (with the exception of the lawn tools) are mine and my husband doesn't have a problem with that!!

September 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Vivian said...

Love the photo - beautiful scenery and soothing. They are strolling along as if not a care in the world. Thanks for sharing your life. I look foward to your posts each day. I have read your book and shared it with a couple of friends. Now I want to go back and read it again.

September 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger karental said...

I was the "Cold Antler Farm" pic in the October/November Mother Earth News today. Your friend took a gorgeous picture. Two thumbs up!

September 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home