Sunday, September 13, 2009

in the shop...

There's Finn, checking out his new ride. Or probably his reflection in the back of the cab. He was actually pretty calm up there. I suppose growing up from the age of two-weeks-old in the back hatch of a station wagon helped...Finn's still small enough that lifting him up in my arms isn't a problem, but I imagine those days are over soon. You'll have this.

The truck had some drama. It's now registered, has shiny green plates, and the taxes are paid. It just needed to get a state inspection to make it road legal. So yesterday I took it to a mechanic to get it looked over. Turns out it didn't make it fifteen minutes into the inspection before the guy told me the front passenger side wheel was loose. It was a hazard and it needed to be fixed before Vermont allowed it on her roads. I contacted the dealer and they're picking it at the office tomorrow and repairing it on their dime. My friend and coworker Eric is going to take me back up into the 'Gate. Hopefully in a few days it'll be back to work. With jobs like fence reconstruction, winter hay buying, and trash bags needing to get to the dump... I need this truck. It can do in one trip what the Subaru can do in five.

Oh, I finally picked up that issue of Urban Farm magazine. If you live in a suburb or city, it's a must have for the resource lists alone. And the articles on beekeeping, goats, chickens, canning and small-space gardening are great and beginner friendly. Not too shabby for five bucks.

11 Comments:

Blogger karental said...

Good to know they're going to fix your truck.

As for the "Urban Farm" magazine - they don't sell it where I live. Not one bookstore or news agent sells it. And the company won't do subscriptions nor were they very helpful telling us where we COULD get a copy. I live in a major metropolitan area, but no one carries this? Hmmm Very frustrating.

September 13, 2009 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Karen L R said...

Ooooh Jenna......she's a beauty, and I love the goat accessory! I invite you to pop on over to my blog for a peek at the VT Land Trust meeting held in Greensboro on Saturday....

September 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger BJ Gingles said...

I was out for a couple of days and what do I come back to? WONDERFUL news. Congratulations on the truck!. Hopefully the kinks will be repaired soon and you can bring her home for good. I don't know why all trucks seem feminine to me but my grandpa always named his trucks female names and I always think of them as "her".

September 13, 2009 at 9:17 PM  
Blogger Anna M said...

I found my copy of Urban Farming at the Tractor Supply Store.

Just a side note.... don't take your husband to that store with ice cream in the car even if he does say it's only for a "few minutes". I should have known better *lol*

September 13, 2009 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Ha ha to Anna m's comment. I agree! Glad to hear you truck will be taken care of Jenna!

September 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I got mine at tractor supply, a farm store chain.

September 14, 2009 at 6:12 AM  
Blogger Vonnie said...

Hi Jenna:
I just read your wonderful book. I was so happy to see a link to your blog. I have so much to learn. I'm a California Air Force brat with deep maine roots living in Florida with my Maine-raised hubby. We have our first mildly successful garding and first three hens. Seems as though the rest of the world thinks we're nuts, but we're happier than ever. Thanks for confirming what I already know to be true about the "god life". We have one of those rangers in our yard. It's great unless you take in on a shopping run in the rain, then you get a little cramped. Enjoy.
Blessings,
Vonnie

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Mountain Man said...

NICE. Ironically I just bought a truck last week. 1978 Ford Ranger...classic! Dido on Urban Farm - great magazine - great looking cover too!

September 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger SusLynn said...

Oh...that's a nice truck. Practical yet pretty too. I got my copy of Urban Farm at Barnes & Nobel - however, it sold out in just a few days.

There is a fiber farm in New York that's giving away a small flock of fiber goats - check it out from SouleMama.com (giveaway in upper right corner). Hurry - it ends this Wed. and you have to write an essay but they sure are cute, curley goats.

September 14, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I bought my copy at Fleet Farm. Thats where I find all the good homesteading magazines, like Countryside, Back Home, and now Urban Farm. I haven't had a chance to page through it though. Too busy!!!

September 14, 2009 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

wow! that is one good lookin goat!

September 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home