Tuesday, September 29, 2009

if they only knew

Another rainy day here in the hollow, but not an unwelcome one. The drive up into the mountains after work was gorgeous. Swirling panics of leavesm pairs of crows launching into the air like the ground was poison. The whole painting from the cab of the truck seemed comforting. I have never lived away from mountains, trains, and crows. God forbid I ever do.

I came home and before even walking into the house grabbed three logs off the wood pile and split them with a level of skill no one should obtain having grown up watching Night Court. I carried my kill inside, started a blazing fire, and hugged my kind dogs. I always ask Jazz and Annie the same question, every day. "Are you getting all the love you need?" and they oblige me with a nuzzle deep into my side. Siberians don't really lick or wag their tails. If they're happy to see you they bend back their ears and place their thick foreheads into your body, nuzzling like wolves. Lifting their heads only to have their eyes meet yours to ask for a scratch behind the ears or permission to nuzzle more. Sometimes when I walk the dogs in town parents drag their kids by the arms away from Jazz and Annie, as if they were indeed wolves. The kids always reach out and Annie licks a splayed finger as they go. If they only knew.

Joseph is now living with the flock full time. He is no longer sharing the kid pen with Finn. Maude and Sal have made him one of the tribe, in their own way, which is to say they aren't chasing him away from the grain bin or morning hay pile anymore. He sits at the big kids table now. He seems like a happy guy. This shepherd's work is done. At least for now.

They are calling for snow showers tomorrow night. No joke.

14 Comments:

Blogger KateAnn said...

Hi from Idaho, Jenna! The weather forecast calls for snow tonight, mostly in the mountains, but we may get a dusting here in the Snake River plain in the eastern part of the state. I say, bring it on -- I'm ready! take care, KateAnn

September 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I've been really enjoying your blog - found out about it in Mother Earth News... and I can definitely relate as a graphic designer who longs for the homesteading life (we're getting there, if only we owned the land we currently rent & garden on)...

As a fellow parent of a Siberian Husky, I often notice the same fear reaction from people when we're out & about. Some people seem horrified that we let our husky run leash-free on the beach, though all he may do to harm anyone is kick up some sand as he zooms by... people are strange. Dogs are often much more enjoyable company!

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your updates - very inspiring!

And oddly enough, I used to live in North Idaho, too (Moscow, but I grew up in Boise). Now we call Mendocino, CA home. :)

September 29, 2009 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Holy Cats! S**w tomorrow night? We aren't even forcast for s**w yet. :-) Good luck woth that!
Tami E.

September 29, 2009 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

I so look forward to your posts!

September 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM  
Blogger Tania Nicole said...

Hee hee! Here in Alaska, we got our first snow on the autumnal equinox. Kind of made me realize that we'll keep dreaming about the chicks until next spring... no time to get a coop up now, seeing as we are still waiting to close on our own little homestead. (Soon! Maybe mid-Oct)
*sigh*
Meanwhile, I wish I could just reach over the fence and pet your beautiful little sheep! Those guys have "Cozy Alaskan Sweater" written all over them! :)

September 29, 2009 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

German Shepherds tend to get the same reaction. They have 100 pounds of love to give, and zero social skills. So misunderstood. ;-)

September 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM  
Blogger Vickie's Michigan Garden (my backyard) said...

The weather in Michigan as turned cold also within the last few days. Haven't heard the word snow yet.. not sure I'm ready to.
I guess it's time for the wolly blankets.
vickie

September 30, 2009 at 12:08 AM  
Blogger kate said...

Tara, my German shepherd gets that reaction -- except from people in the know. He sees kids playing and he barks because he wants to play too... but there's a fence in the way. You should see him with horses. "Please play!" He ignores cows and is more afraid of bears than I am.

Jenna, snow? I am about 35 minutes north of you and the weather says temp in the 40's. Probably varies in hollows and cliffs. "Snow showers over the highest terrains", public radio just told me right now!

September 30, 2009 at 7:01 AM  
Blogger Alison Russell said...

We're expecting daytime temps below 60 here tomorrow! I'd say that fall has finally arrived, but we had such a weird summer here that I'm not sure fall left, except for that two-week heat wave!

September 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hi Jenna,
We, too, have a 'Chuck K' rooster. The best way to gain their respect is to grab 'em by the legs and let them hang upside down for a wee bit. Better yet, place them gently on their backs on the ground and hold them firmly in place. They hate it, but it teaches them respect.
After many reprimands, our Goldie totally respects my husband, and barely respects me. However, the other day he launched onto the dog's butt and we about died laughing.
However, it won't be so funny when Goldie gets spurs, so if he starts to attack visitors, it's into the soup pot!

September 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger BJ Gingles said...

Snow showers, wow. Here in Louisiana it is still in the low to mid 80's during the day but has been getting down in the 50's at night. I am sooooo ready for fall. We are supposed to have a cool front come in in a day or two which will bring rain and a degree or two cooler weather. I have my wood all piled up but would have to run my airconditioner if I were to light a fire now. Too silly to contemplate.

September 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger ashley english said...

"I came home and before even walking into the house grabbed three logs off the wood pile and split them with a level of skill no one should obtain having grown up watching Night Court."
Pure comic genius. It's quips like these that distinguish you from the pack. And make me snort on my coffee.

September 30, 2009 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Lorri said...

I'm jealous. You get real autumns and snow! I'll just have to enjoy through you & this blog :)

Snow *this early*?

down here, it's still in the 70's during the day...

September 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Just lovin' Sal and Maude's pics!!! Sal's expression seems to speak of character

September 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home