Thursday, September 3, 2009

the birthday flock is thriving

Remember those chicks I bought as a birthday present in early July? Well, here they are, all grown up just two months later. These youngest members of the flock sleep in a huddle behind the grain bin in the coop. They're either too nervous or too small to fly up into the roosts and join the older birds, so here they sleep. I also think it's a warmth thing. On these chillier nights it must be nice to have a down comforter built in via birth-community. John the rooster is down in font, with his young wives behind him. I like that he watches the door.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Good lil boy that John.

September 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger Tora said...

Hi Jenna, I just visited one of my favorite blogs - Martha's Vineyard Fiber Farm. She's giving away a FLOCK of SHEEP!!!!

Thought you might be interested in the giveaway as it's an essay contest and your write so beautifully I'm sure you'd win! Check it out here:

http://www.fiberfarm.com/blog

September 4, 2009 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Tora said...

Oooops, it's goat's not sheep and she's giving away a shed as well!!!!!

September 4, 2009 at 9:13 AM  
OpenID dykestrasalgorithm said...

I love a good rooster that's protective of his flock but doesn't bother humans. :)

September 4, 2009 at 11:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love your chicken posts. We would love chickens someday so I learn a lot by reading here :)

September 4, 2009 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Karen Sue said...

This picture reminds me of those singers from the 60s and 70s with the guy up front and the backup girls, in matching outfits, around the microphones behind him!!

September 4, 2009 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger Conny said...

You know John - he's always got your back! Too funny.

@Karen Sue - your comment cracked me up. :>)

September 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

LOL, Karen Sue!! I love that image. Ahh, they grow up so fast.

September 5, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home