Tuesday, September 1, 2009

angry sheep are kinda great

One this is blatantly clear: Maude does not approve of having her picture taken. There she is—standing around, ears back, foot stomping, hating everyone. The world owes her. I'm not sure what exactly, but it better pay up.

For being such a miserable animal I really have grown to love that sheep. There is a consistency to her spite that has gone from annoying to absolutely endearing. It always shocks me how animals as seemingly anonymous as sheep have such stark contrasts in personality. Maude is nothing like Sal and Sal is nothing like Joseph. All of my sheep have their own levels of tolerance and bravery—habits and vices. You learn them as you go. After my first year being a shepherd, I feel I've got these guys down.

Not sure it'll be as easy when there are 50 in the back pasture....

The forums seem to be really taking off. Last I checked over 60 people signed up for the Locals, and as I write you people are talking about alpacas, chickens, knitting, and what's the best beginner spinning wheel. There are folks swapping recipes and sharing advice—it's a great place to check in with between CAF updates or to make new friends. So if you haven't signed up yet, check it out. It costs nothing but a little time.

10 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

That picture is priceless. What an expression!

September 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger kandy Gray said...

oooooo....she is not happy with youuuuuuu....

September 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

You just have to laugh, don't ya? But don't turn your back on her for long....it could be dangerous, LOL!

One of my favorite books to read to my kids (and theirs to hear me read) was one called "The Animal Friends on Maple Hill Farm." It's still in print in paperback. The writers were farmers and the animals' personalities were valued and expressed so cleverly. Even though I have no young grandkids at the moment, I finally broke down and bought a new copy (ours had fallen apart and pages were missing) to read to future grandkids.

September 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger karental said...

I love Maude.

September 1, 2009 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger BJ Gingles said...

Jenna,

How do you do it? You seem to be able to truly capture the personality of your animals in your pics. First Sal looked so smug and now Maude looks like she is just waiting for you to turn your back so she can tear your butt up.

September 1, 2009 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Can we declare "National Maude Appreciation Day" in honor of surly animals everywhere?

September 1, 2009 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Yesterday I got to work with a red and white holstein heifer. We're trying to get her ready for the fair... she wasn't enjoying me so much, but I sure loved the challenge!

September 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM  
OpenID dykestrasalgorithm said...

Man, angry sheep are some of the cutest things on earth. I just want to ruffle her wool.

September 2, 2009 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger tigress said...

this photo is ridiculous! OMG how cute is she? I love the photos of your farm. i will be back often.

September 23, 2009 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

August 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home