Sunday, August 23, 2009

pies and pencil rituals

I spent the earlier part of the morning in the kitchen. I baked two pies and bread is rising on the counter top as I type. In a bit I'll get dressed and head down to Wayside to pick up my Sunday paper. It's the closest thing Sandgate has to home delivery of the Sunday Times. You go down to the store and on the back shelf there is a pile of Sunday papers with last names scribbled on them for all the local "subscribers". You find your name and pay up front. It's a weekend ritual I've grown to love.

This afternoon I hope to deliver some fresh bread and a pie over to my neighbor, Roy. Lately he's been an amazing help. This summer alone he's mowed the giant lawn, moved piles of old bedding out of the sheep shed with his new tractor, and always has a vigilant eye on my small homestead. Last week while I was away at the Ox Roast he freed Maude from a tangle in the electric netting (the netting was turned off). The least I can do is offer some baked goods and a sincere thank you. I did all this kitchen stuff early in the morning to avoid the heat later on. It's been brutal.

Looks like just another few days of this heatwave and then Vermont will finally accept it's a New England state and gracefully decline into Autumn. While I really don't care for all this summer racket—I do have to say that last night's muggy thunderstorm had it's moments. I'll tell you about it later. Right now: the crossword in pencil (I'm a beginner).

P.S. Someone commented in my last large post that I sometimes talk about work with little enthusiasm. I want to be clear that's only because I'm comparing the office to my passion, which is this small farm. But honestly, I adore the people and place I work. There were days this past spring I almost flew out of bed to get there, excited for the friends and challenges that lay ahead. Plus, how many work places let you bring your goat to work? So take my office mentions with that understanding. I hope to stick around that place long as they'll have me. It's mighty fine.

8 Comments:

Blogger BJ Gingles said...

Aren't the small daily/weekly rituals the nails you hang life on? They may be small, like getting the Sunday paper from a certain place with your name written on or in my case the specific little routine my dogs go through when I come home each day, but they add a special little spice to the everyday. You come to depend on them and miss them if they aren't there for whatever reason.

August 23, 2009 at 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Sandy said...

I can't stop thinking about your Friday post! I just want to tell you, belatedly, that I am so impressed with your self-awareness and your ability to forge on with what your passion is. I am going to be 44 and am just reaching this point in my life, so kudos to you. You're ahead of the curve!

Living your life in harmony with your goals and passions is what brings peace and joy. I'm setting small goals and reaching towards that after a recently failed relationship. I'm finally embracing the fact that I am not a person who enjoys bars or running around and doing the "in" thing.

I am who I am. I am totally impressed that you have figured it out at your stage in life!

August 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Jenna - I love your life! I'm moving back to New England, where I grew up, week after next. I'm 24, and I see you're only 27! Maybe, maybe, maybe I'll do what you've done!

August 23, 2009 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Amigo van Helical said...

Good job, Jenna. Glad you noticed the comment and took it in the spirit meant.

Best regards from the Pacific Northwest.

August 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Rachel B. said...

The newspaper thing sounds cozy.

August 23, 2009 at 8:24 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Jenna, Could you post your recipe for the bread and pies? I have your homemade book and loved the homemade noodles/tomato sauce recipes. Thanks!

August 24, 2009 at 8:53 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

katherine - you can search this blog (searchbox at the top, just make sure you choose "this blog" for bread. I think there's a recipe.

And here is the pie:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jenna-woginrich/falls-here-the-best-organ_b_125108.html

August 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM  
Blogger kayjean said...

I loved reading your blog.

August 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home