Saturday, August 15, 2009

objects of desire

Some mornings we're met by a crisis of desire. We see something we want and it overtakes our otherwise passive nature. Take Sal, for example. A happy wether who usually wonts for nothing. He has a roof over his head, plenty of green grass to eat, and a long life of mutton-free worries ahead of him. And yet sometimes he finds himself near the garden fences. A place where he can stare at both the sweet corn and his grain bin: two objects of ovine bliss just out of reach. He can't help himself. He's only a sheep.

I was in the garden checking on the pumpkins and caught him mid-worship. I walked over through the corn (so high it's above my head) and broke off one brown-silked cob for him. He couldn't believe his luck. I know this because I have become an expert is this particular sheep's body language. His eyes didn't blink as he lifted his head and stamped his hoof as I approached him with the gift. I handed him the treat and he devoured it in moments. (Maude watched this from a sunny spot in the distance and continued to plot my demise.) As someone who just talked to a bank about asking for something I can't ever imagine actually receiving—it felt like the thing to do. A little karma never hurt a damn thing.

Hey, next time you're in a bookstore pick up the new Country Skills bookzine from Mother Earth News. If you flip through the pages you might come across some familiar faces. Faces that belong to folks like Sal, Maude, Jazz, Annie, and myself. Yes, there is a bit of Jenna in there. A few months ago Mother printed a big article about my homesteading adventures and if you missed it here's another chance to read it. And besides the Cold Antler stuff there are loads of other bits of interest for people like us. The collection of articles covers things like 5-minute bread recipes, basic canning instructions, homesteading stories, and how to build a log house for 10 grand (among many other topics). There's also photographic evidence of my love of Chacos, Guinness, and old suitcases... It's only on shelves a few more weeks so get while the getting's good, son.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I love, love, LOVE that picture and I can almost see him as though I'm walking the corn out to him myself. What a wonderful moment!
I'm crossing my fingers on your farm-owner excitement!

August 15, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger finsandfeathers said...

My wife and I have a rule:

Never trust anyone without a Chaco tan.

August 15, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Patsy said...

So glad you gave Sal an ear of corn. He really needed it! Lol.

August 15, 2009 at 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corn lust is an incurable condition don'tcha know.

August 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home