Friday, August 7, 2009

learning the sun

I caught sight of something beautiful this morning. While brushing my teeth I heard a loud crow. I looked out the bathroom window and Chuck Klosterman was perfectly balanced on an ax jutting from an unsplit round. His talons clutching the metal, his light frame perfectly taunt as he crowed. Below him the geese watched like gargoyles, stretching their necks out in opposite directions. It was like a crest for some old world clan. Ameraucanas really are beautiful animals. Chuck's yellow and green cape in the morning sun made me want to call in sick. Just spend the morning working, then jogging, and then swaying in the hammock for an afternoon nap. My empire is a happy one. It promotes repose.

Before heading into Manchester last night for the book event, I decided to enforce some tough love on the bathroom birds. Since they're nearly feathered out and hopping out of their safe little box—I decided the 78 degree evening would be the perfect time to learn about the sun (which is a fancy way of saying: learn to be outside chickens). They were set in a sunny patch in a small cage and started chewing on the grass under their feet and eating ants. Complaints were few. All of the other farm animals seemed indifferent to the chirping cage, save for Saro.

Saro's my female Toulouse, and pretty spunky for a goose. Her partner Cyrus is on the mend from a broken leg and infection and doesn't travel with her like he used to. I go out in the morning with an old teacup filled with antibiotics and set him in my lap and let him lap up his medicine. But to his credit he takes it and seems to be improving. He flies around more to make up for the limping. Geese live to be forty, so my yearling gets all the help I can offer. I want Cyrus and Saro to be with me long as they can. From rented cabin to my future lamb and wool farm. We'll land there together, limping or otherwise.

9 Comments:

Blogger JStantonChandler said...

Beautiful post! Your description of a farm morning is so wonderful. I'd want to call in sick as well! Or at least, call in well and happy ;)

Happy weekend,
Jen

August 7, 2009 at 10:22 AM  
Anonymous Debbie said...

I agree. You brought light to my morning.
Deb

August 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

I never get tired of hearing stories about the goings on at coldantlerfarm. I missed it while I was away, and this was the first thing I checked when I got back. Thanks for all the inspirtation!!!!

August 7, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Annie said...

I love my geese. I have a pair of Sebastopols and they are the neatest birds, and so pretty, too. I only wish they would let me hold them more. I guess I need to bribe them :)

I'm always glad when it's time to let the former little fuzzball birds outside for good. They are fun to start but soon begin to stink up your house something fierce.

I also have a gorgeous Ameraucana roo, with the most phenomenal orange feathers, but mine unfortunately has NO TAIL at all. I guess the girls just retaliate for all that unsolicited er, love, by picking them out every night. LOL Too bad 'cuz he would be a knockout with tail feathers.

August 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Tora: said...

The only chicks I have are the decorative ones - they are all roosters with one exception. I have a passion for them - especially the Ameraucanas. Their coloring and attitude are what I'm drawn to. Just love them!

August 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

Your pictures and stories feed my soul. Thanks

August 8, 2009 at 12:38 AM  
OpenID wormsmoothies said...

Saro's so beautiful

August 8, 2009 at 2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anne said...

Hi Jenna,
I just finished reading your book--so good! I was trying not to wake up Clementine and James with my laughter. I couldn't help it, though, during the clothes-making chapter. Funny stuff. It was nice to meet you the other night. Let us know if your ever have an "open farm" day --James is dying to befriend a goat.

Anne

akennedy [at] vermontlaw.edu

August 8, 2009 at 7:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Anne check your email~

and thanks to all~

August 8, 2009 at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home