Monday, August 10, 2009

kits and cages

I do believe the morning will welcome some new residents to Cold Antler. Bean Blossom, my angora doe, has been fervently plucking hair out of her coat and making a giant nest of wool in her den. This is a sure sign of kits on the way, possibly as soon as tonight. This will be her second litter of the summer. I hope it's a healthy lot. I can't wait to check the hutch at first light, and see how many new bunnies are on the way.

I'll also be checking in on the birthday birds. My five, 6-week-old chickens are spending their first full night outdoors. They are still in their cage, safe from any unwanted pecking or predators, but instead of in the bathroom they're in the coop. To make sure they had a cozy first night I surrounded their cage with straw. I looks like a Vermont igloo. I just don't want the night to chill them. It's humid as hell right now, and I doubt the next few hours will drop below 60, but for birds who've spent most of their life under brooder lights—that's a big change. But every day they've spent more and more time outside. The last two days from morning till dark away from their brooder. I'm not worried. Their feathers are all in and they understand safety in numbers. Last I checked they were all piled together watching Saro and Cyrus from their little straw-cave.

5 Comments:

Anonymous kandy Gray said...

yah baby bunnies! whoot whoot!

August 10, 2009 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Anna M said...

It sounds like you need to harden off chicks just like tomato plants!

August 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna.....Reading your love of chickens...have you ever checked BackYardChickens.com ? It is a great website forum for info and ideas and just good people who also are raising chickens.

I love your blog...read it daily. We are living alike....you in the north and us in the south!
Tink

August 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Aww, baby bunnies! I have to rehome ours. They can't take the Texas heat - need an air conditioned barn, which we don't (and won't) have.

Jenna, I meant to mention in a previous post, if you aren't already, watch craigslist for a pressure canner. They don't come up often (at least not here) but I found one for forty bucks, and it came with loads of free advice and a jar of home canned green beans! :D

August 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Thats great - hardening of the baby chooks all snuggled in straw

hope you had lovely angora babies - I love angoras and baby rabbits both!

August 11, 2009 at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home