Wednesday, August 5, 2009

campfires, music, and a thank you

Tonight I lit a campfire while the sheep and goat grazed. I brought out my modest Epiphone and my Czech fiddle and played for my little herd. Eighteen chickens, two sheep, a pair of geese, two rabbits, the dogs and a goat listened to my renditions of favorite songs. I played Pretty Saro and Old Joe Clark. Cripple Creek and Ruby with the Eyes the Sparkle (which. incidentally, is the first song I learned by ear. I heard it on the movie Cold Mountain, and taught it to myself since no one else was going to on that particular smowy Idaho night). I was happy to get the smell of wood-smoke on my new fiddle. I saw one firefly. Both of us were too polite t to mention their season was over in Vermont. He flew by. I caught him in my hand, barely alive.

I would like to take a moment and thank the people who sent in donations to the farm. These past few months I've stumbled across a few gifts in my inbox and every time I see them in my account I am bowled over. Thank you. Know that the money you send goes directly to scratch grains, hay, sheep feed, and winter wood. Every little bit helps and I am in awe of your generosity. Over and over.

2 Comments:

Anonymous wildallium said...

your friend from Saratoga again...I also saw one lone firefly tonight...silently flashing away. Didn't get to hold it in my hand. It's a cold one tonight...reminds me of autumn...

August 5, 2009 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

Autumn, yes, it's in the air in the mornings, too. Woke up to 59 degrees here in NH at 4:45 when I get up to work and it made me want to throw a batch of pumpkin muffins in the oven...yes, glory is on it's way!

August 6, 2009 at 2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home