Thursday, July 23, 2009

troubles and such

When I left the office tonight my eyes took in the mountains to the west. It looked like a storm was coming, and in the distance low thunder could be heard. From where I park my car I can see down the office's hill into the valley, and beyond that the Taconic mountains that are my home. I liked seeing the dark clouds over there. The wind had picked up and southern Vermont seemed poised for some sort of trouble.

This was fitting because things at the farm are currently troublesome. I have a hen, or possibly a few hens, eating eggs. A serious problem for chicken hobbyists. I also have cause to believe the fox has returned since one of my Jersey Giants is missing all her butt feathers and has a gash in her rump (Now, that's one fast chicken). I also need to recruit some good friends for a working Saturday to repair my sorry fences around the sheep pen, which are sagging and turning sour. I hope to be able to invest in some of that Red Brand stuff I long for every time I walk by it at Tractor Supply.

But problems have solutions. This is how things work. While fly fishing on my lunch break my friend Steve told me about a trapper friend of his who is willing to help me catch this fox. We hope to get him in the next few days. (I have no remorse hanging his pelt from my cabin wall.) And when some money finds me I'll fix that fence with the help of caring friends. And if the hen that keeps eating eggs keeps it up—she'll be dispatched or sold. And as for the storm...well, it has yet to come. But outside the cabin I can hear the wind. I hope the rain covers the garden where pumpkins and corn reach for fall. And since I have a full stomach and payday is tomorrow—I feel a little better about my troubles. They're just a few phonecalls and paid bills away. And the ones I can't buy off will be forgotten.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna,
We used to put our used shells in the oven and dry them out thoroughly then refeed them to the chickens. I think it was because the extra calcium helped them not eat eggs. Could be way off but just some info for you.

Loretta

July 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Thanks Loretta, I apppreciate all advice

July 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

Have you checked to see if there is a market for that fox pelt? He may help you buy your first roll of red wire fencing

July 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Yes to the calcium - do you have oyster shell or some such thing available to them? Sometimes I think they just like to eat the eggs, though. Also, I don't know what you're using for fencing now, but we've discovered that we LOVE the rigid livestock panels much better than the rolled fencing. They're 16 ft. long, but they're flexible enough to be doubled over for transport - don't know if that will fit in your wagon or not, but maybe someone could deliver them to your place? They don't sag like rolled fence. Around here they're about $25 each.

July 24, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We did have more of a problem with the hens eating eggs when they first started to lay. And also the oyster shell stuff helped, as it toughened up the shells and made it harder for them to crack. If that doesn't work, you do have to get rid of that hen sadly.

Payday, yay!

Isn't it great how everything works out eventually? It could almost make you believe in fate or something except for all the bad shit that also happens in between. ;P

Anyhow glad things are working out for you. Your good attitude is always like a tonic to a sour old woman like me.

July 24, 2009 at 3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna,

Put some golf balls in the nesting boxes. It worked for the polish hens, a few pecks and a headache and they were cured. I also give them oyster shells!

You might also have red squirrels, on several occassions I have caught red squirrels breaking eggs!

July 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home