Saturday, July 25, 2009

see how they grow

I wanted to take a photo to show how fast these birds grow! That Rhode Island Red pullet in front is only two weeks old.To her right is the just-hatched Silkie Bantam Chick. (Side by side that pullet looks like a T-Rex compared to the new kids.) The little red poofball between them is how large that dinosaur in front was when I brought her home.

In a few more weeks those five chickens I bought on my birthday will be ready to join their extended-adoptee family out in the poultry house. They won't start laying big brown eggs till snow is on the ground, but that's kind of great since these new irds will start producing as the older one slow down production. I look forward to hearing that new rooster learn to crow by Halloween. I just hope he learns from Chuck Klosterman and not Winthrop (the Light Brahma Wererooster). I don't need another animal making the neighbor's dogs howl back everytime he crows...

6 Comments:

Blogger KristiHarmon said...

My chickens just spent their first night in the coop... They luv it:) BUT now I miss the cute lil fuzz balls they once were... and wonder how long I will have to wait before I try and convince my husband we need a couple more;)

July 25, 2009 at 11:35 AM  
Anonymous RenĂ© said...

How cute! I love the transformation they go through from two puff balls, to awkward teenagers, to puffed up mama hens.

By the way, I wanted to say thanks for turning me on to Gene Logsdon, too. I'm reading my first one, You Can Go Home Again, and loving it. The more I read about country life the more it reminds me of my childhood. I miss being around folk whose panties weren't easily bunched, who talked and moved slow because they knew it was too darn hot to go about anything faster than that, and that could stand with a boot on a barbed wire fence and reckon while they watched the horses crop the grass.

July 25, 2009 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Heehee! I love the peepers. I have a new batch of 27 pullets that just arrived Thursday morning. I love them at all ages, though. Actually, I think my favorite thing is when the young boys start sparring at about 10-12 weeks. That cracks me up every time.

July 26, 2009 at 9:31 AM  
Blogger chris said...

Hi Jenna-

Don't know if you'll get back to the comments on this post, I saw this article while checking the news this morning and thought you'd appreciate it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chicago/chi-chicken-coops-north-zone-31-jul31,0,355460.story

All the best.

-Chris

July 31, 2009 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Gemini said...

We went over to our neighbors' yesterday and one of their roosters was growling at us. It was so weird.

August 12, 2009 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger jessajune said...

Aww, she's just starting to reach the ugly half-feather half-fluff stage. They really DO look like dinosaurs, don't they?

August 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home