Thursday, July 30, 2009

the new antiquarians

Found this article online this morning while checking the news. I think it's wonderful. I'm telling you, I could hang with these cats in Williamsburg, but I draw the line at displaying any taxidermy of pets I once owned. They probably would never willingly shoot and gut a fox though, so I guess creepy is relative. But the article and slideshow are fun, and shows a growing interest in younger folks, (even home decorators) looking back instead of looking forward when it come to homelife. Awesome.


Anonymous Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing the link. Taxidermy and articulated skeletons aren't exactly my style, but it was a good article to read.

July 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM  
Blogger Rois said...

Nice link! I LOVE "old stuff" from so many eras it reads like a history book.The thing that I always wonder when looking through design blogs and seeing all of these gorgeous things displayed everywhere in a home,who dose the dusting?

July 30, 2009 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

The idea of old stuff as a trendy, hipster decorating style actually makes me kind of sad. :(

July 30, 2009 at 11:24 AM  
Anonymous kandy said...

rois, i like the idea of reusing old instead of new becoming maine streem, but like you am a bit sad. first, i dont want to be "main streem" and 2 it means getting old stuff will be expensiv again

July 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Tara, I'm with you on this. I've collected antiques and old stuff all my life. I would hate to be priced out of it because it's suddenly the 'thing to do.'

July 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Crazy! I went to grade school with Hollister. Such a small world.

July 31, 2009 at 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Wiste said...

I love old stuff but I don't think I could handle the clutter and I definitely know I can't handle stuffed dead things. How do you dust a stuffed deer head?

By the way, my fiddle showed up today! It's been ridiculously hot here (temps over 100 and no a/c) so I'll have to finish tuning it tomorrow when the weather is supposed to be more reasonable and then hopefully I can start learning how to play it.

July 31, 2009 at 1:56 AM  
Blogger Rachel B. said...

Yay old stuff! I have a mind to start collecting old stuff. I'm particulary interested in acquiring stoneware dished. There's something about a heavy dish that says home.

August 2, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home