Friday, June 19, 2009

a little offense

So much rain as of late. It seems like every day when I wake up I hear it, and I know the morning chores will leave me soaked, sweaty, and barking for coffee by the time I stumble back inside. This sounds like a complaint, but it really isn't. I don't mind the rain, actually, I think I favor precipitation. I like a little offense in my day.

Snow, rain hail, sleet, wet winds—I like them all. When it's blustery outside on a crisp fall morning, and I get to return to a warm cabin and a hot shower I feel like I won something. Today was damp as hell, but barely drizzling. I went about the morning chores in my big brown boots and kept a running tab in my head of all the things that should happen this weekend. The sheep need their shed cleaned and the sopping mud removed. The birds need fresh straw. Finn's pen needs some dusting up as well. It'll all get done. It always does.

Right now as my pre-office coffee perks—I'm looking out the window at Finn chewing on the lawn and the two (now sold) remaining Angora bunnies in their pen on the grass. By wednesday the last kit will be picked up, and another litter will be on the way by the end of July. But today it feels good to have that job done.

I realize that the Cafe Press price might be too steep for those fiddlers shirts. If no one objects, I can replace some of the Snap Pea merch with the Fiddler's Summer logo? A 9.99 shirt seems more reasonable.

Okay. Time for coffee.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nire said...

It's been raining for almost three weeks straight in MA. When my friends came up to visit from MD, they couldn't believe that it rained for a week straight. I guess down there, spring isn't synonymous with mud season.

June 19, 2009 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I would kill for some rain. Well, not really, but I'd think about it.

June 19, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Kimberly Ann said...

It just rained today here in Washington after 30 days without it (a new record for June here). I haven't heard the sound of cars on wet pavement in a long time. At least I don't have to water all my veggies this morning!

June 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna, Your coffee perculator - is it electric or the stovetop kind? My old drip pot is leaking and I plan to replace soon. So after reading your book, I looked on Ebay for perculators. So, just wondering? By the way, enjoyed your book. Trying to live simple in Tennessee, thanks Kw.

June 19, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the point of a stove percolator as opposed to an electric coffeemaker? Just wondering - my mom had a percolator and I didn't think the coffee tasted as good as it does now with a Mr. Coffee. It tasted a lot like camp coffee - bitter, dark, grainy, full of grounds on the bottom.Ick. So I'm seriously just wondering, is it more "green" to use a percolator or do you LIKE the taste better, or is it cheaper - or what? Someone help me out here?

June 19, 2009 at 3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted the question about the percolator. I don't know how the coffee will taste. I've never had any from a percolater. I want to know because in the 25 years I've been keeping house I have probably been through 10-15 automatic drip coffee makers that have to be replaced because they start leaking. I think is it more "green" to buy used and something that will probably last a long time. I do like strong coffee. So I am interested to hear from Jenna on the subject.

June 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Conny said...

Anon - I've heard percolated coffee tastes better, but I'm pretty certain it also depends on the quality of the beans. Folgers in a percolator definitely tasted bitter and there were "chunks" left in the bottom of the cup. Mrs. Olson (of Folger's fame) always made it look like it tasted so delicious.

I'm thinking the point in using a percolator instead of a drip system like Mr. Coffee is that it uses less electricity (or wouldn't need it if you were cooking over fire). Another method for brewing using less electricity is a French Press, which doesn't require paper filters. You only need boiling water. If that's the route you decide on, be sure to have a course grind or you'll end up with "chunks" again.

Boy, I wrote more about coffee than I expected, sorry, AND I don't even work at Starbucks.

June 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

i must be very near Kimberly ann as the rain here in WA stayed in a tight area! (we were swamped but friends a mile away saw none!) So our gardens and grass are happy! Enjoy your upcoming weekend!

June 19, 2009 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger June said...

Barking for coffee, yes! I know the feeling. And with DRIZZLE in the forecast off the charts (really! through next Friday!) I will be barking a lot.

June 19, 2009 at 9:55 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I love, adore, need, strong coffee. My percolator is just what you're thinking, a camp/stovetop pot, but it's never grindy or bitter. Like Conny said, use decent stuff and you're set. But that's just my opinion, if you like Mr. Coffee, stick with it!

June 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Our percolator is a stove top type - not electric. We got it because it takes up less space and also so we can still make coffee without electricity (we're truly addicted). I like it fine compared to drip coffee makers overall, but I will say that it disappoints when we have REALLY good coffee on hand. It seems to make lesser coffee taste better, but doesn't deliver any of the nuances of really great coffee - everything sort of meets in the middle, if you will!

June 20, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home