Saturday, June 20, 2009

i'll meet you there

The weekend of July 11th is the Merck Forest Sheepdog Trials. I'll be there volunteering with the club, running around to help however I can. But if you're in the area and want to see some of the finest herding in New England at a working farm center, please do come. It's a big time.

The Merck trials are beautiful. Two days of working dogs, sheep, and good people. The farm center is full of heritage livestock, local foods, and demonstrations. Last year there were sheep shearers, maple syrups, yarns, draft horse demos and more. There is even a "shuttle" from the parking lot to the trial fields (a pair of percherons pulling a wagon). It is lovely.

Someday I'll have my collie, and we'll be out there on that field. Mark my words good friends. I will get there. We may not win, we may not even compete, but someday this girl and a clever black dog will walk side by side among the lambs and tents. And I will kiss the ground to have made it so far.

Goodnight. I am so tired. I'll explain why in the morning.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Old Gray Egg said...

We have no sheep dog trials in northern Wisconsin of which I am aware. You are lucky to live in the northeast. Have you purchased your practice runner ducks?

I've also purchased your book. I haven't played my banjo since I ran my hand through a table saw and couldn't get it fixed because I had no insurance. The hospital wanted us to sell the farm before they would do the surgery. So I gave up the banjo instead. Made me want to learn the words to "O Canada". But I'd still have to give up the farm to move. Not ready to do that yet.

June 20, 2009 at 11:39 PM  
Blogger Greentwinsmummy said...

Its good to have dreams,I have lots of them here :o) sometimes they are realised very quickly,other times you have to wait awhile but then you can spend a quiet moment thinking of all the things you want to be able to do someday & thats a nice thing to be able to do :o)
GTM x

June 21, 2009 at 1:20 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Sheepdog trials, what fun! We have them here in SD, one by Sturgis in the early fall and another during the Black Hills Stockshow in late Jan/early Feb. I don't have a dog either (a border), but they're still fun.

June 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

i haven't been to merck in years, but enjoy and good luck!

June 21, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home