Friday, June 26, 2009

still going strong

The farm is trotting into summer. It's starting to feel like summer too. The days are in the 80s, humid, and long. Yesterday I turned on the ol' Westinghouse to cool the dogs and I off after our walk up the mountain. Still going strong and made in th 40's. God bless 'em.

All the kits are sold, so we're back to two rabbits. It's always a little sad to be suddenly bunnyless around here. Those little guys always lighten the mood. However all four members of the snappea litter are in good pet and fiber homes and the sunflower litter will be on it's way mid July. Or so I hope.

The garden is breathing deep. Growing steady and handing me all the salad I can eat. The peas are nearly here, and the onions, potatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts and such are all nearly knee high and thriving. The corn I planted Memorial Day weekend is already foot tall, and the pumpkins and other squashes are turning into vines. I weed and water like an obsessive compulsive. So far so good.

Now that Finn's off the bottle, and on grains and grass, the morning chores seem to go smoother. I wake up and grab his leash on the way to dump some hay off to the sheep (who are in their pen till I come home from work and then graze from 6-10) and Finn gets tied out to lounge and chew on the grass while the birds debate his worth all around him. So far the chickens seem bored by the new kid and the waterfowl think these new field buckets of fresh water showing up around him are top shelf service. Few complaints around here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Sanders said...

I always love reading about your days, Jenna - thank for sharing! You're my first stop every morning in bloggerland! :o)
Have a great day!
Sarah in MN

June 26, 2009 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Carol @ TheWritersPorch said...

Sounds like you have things going smoothe around your farm!

June 26, 2009 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Jenna: My garden is doing great--I have squash growing and tons of blooms on tomatoes and green peppers. I was too late to do lettuce or spinach or onions, but I'm thinking of planting for a fall harvest of lettuce and spinach and maybe even radishes. Next year--I'm doubling the size of my garden--those squash are just so darn cute and I can't wait to eat them. Thanks Jenna for getting me back to doing this. I had forgotten how rewarding it is. Mimi

June 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger Anna M said...

Sounds great! I'm about 2-3 weeks behind you up here on the border but it's all good and I'm really enjoying all the greens and scallions.

How is Annie?

Do you still take Finn to work?

June 26, 2009 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

My garden is just about done for the summer. Not much lives in 100+. I'm down to limas, red ripper cowpeas and some unstoppable swiss chard. I'll plant again from August to October for fall/winter. We've already made the garden plan for fall, and it doesn't include any squashes this time. I might need to rectify that. I do love them!

June 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

sounds abundant, full, and vibrant! happy weekend:)

June 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM  
Blogger ammamcp said...

Good stuff!

June 26, 2009 at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home