Friday, June 19, 2009

finn's on mother earth news!

Here's a small excerpt from a new piece I wrote on Mother Earth News Online. You can click the link below to read the whole story and see Finn's lovable mug.

...A few weekends ago, I found myself at the equivalent of a livestock tailgate party. I was in the thick of the Schaghticoke Poultry Swap — a shindig that happens every spring. It's quite an event. What started as a small gathering to trade and sell chickens has evolved over the years into a parking lot festival of sales and bartering. Since the swap’s inception, the stock has expanded well beyond chickens. This year, there were ducks, geese, quails, rabbits, lambs, kids and more (I swear I walked past a box of puppies). And while it wasn't on the roster — had someone walked through the fairgrounds parking lot with a horse — I wouldn't have blinked an eye.

I was there with a short list. I needed some new laying hens to replace birds that passed away over the winter, nothing drastic. But I was also there hoping to find a very specific animal. I wanted to drive home with a young goat kid, hopefully a spunky buckling. I had been researching pack goats (goats trained to help carry gear on hiking trips via panniers or saddlebags), and if the stars aligned I planned to take home my own backcountry prodigy that same day....

Read the rest of the story here!
Photo by Tim Bronson

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenna! I loved the article in Mother Earth News!! I can't imagine the energy of a goat- my two young cats are enough for me! By the way, I bought your book a few weeks ago through my book club ONE SPIRIT and loved it. I received a new mailing yesterday and there is an insert about winners and nominees for the 13th annual Books For A Better Life Awards and of the 16 books listed in it, 3 were winners, one of which was yours! Congratulations!! These awards are " sponsored by the New York Chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. These awards honor the year's best work in self-improvement,with categories that include first book, inspirational memoir, motivational, spiritual,..." and so forth. You're in good company! Thank you again for your book and the blog. Love the animals! Arwen

June 19, 2009 at 11:45 PM  
Blogger Candace Trew Camling said...

gosh! he really is so sweet!

June 19, 2009 at 11:56 PM  
Blogger renaicoangler said...

Hi, Jenna!

Nice article, your goat is so sweet.
Now I have 4 yearlings kids, they have 10 month old, and I´m very excited to begin reaching mountain trails in few weeks. My kids are half saanen and half nubian, and are being trained to follow us everywere. And the next year we will pack them to go into higher peaks of the "Cordillera de los Andes" here in Chile, South America.
This animals are simply amazing and very versatile, for me is the ideal pack animal because we love to backpack trough mountain valleys in search of those wild rainbow trouts that we love to fly fish, and the goats will help in carring our heavy stuff.

Kind Regards from Chile
renaicoangler@gmail.com

Joaquin Avaria E.

June 20, 2009 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Sheree said...

Very funny read, Jenna! Best of luck with Finn's rambunctions, I think he's a keeper. ;) Congrats on your publication and award!

June 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM  
Anonymous Nikki said...

Yay for you, and Finn!
I love reading your writings from the frontline of moving dreams to reality. Thank you for sharing it!

June 20, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Carol @ TheWritersPorch said...

Great story Jenna. We are going to go for a milk goat in the fall!

June 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

loved the article Jen! (lol, especially the mosh pit reference) Congrats on the award!!!

June 20, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Jenna,

Thought you might like to read the following editorial from our weekly agricultural newspaper.

PERSISTENCE, SENCE OF HUMOR NEEDED WHEN HERDING GOATS

http://www.thecountrytoday.com/story-news.asp?id=BK7PEA3BK1K

I enjoyed your book after reading an excerpt in Countryside Magazine. Now I look forward to your blog about Cold Antler Farm. You are such an inspiration!

June 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Leigh said...

I love the photos of the chickens the most, but photos of Finn are creeping up to overtake my chicken fetish. He is so cute! With your talent, have you thought about capturing Finn in an illustration and writing a children's book around him? These words and phrases come to mind: hiking, forests, backpacking goat-style, appreciation of nature, sharing the load, world through a goat's eyes, child-like wonder, native plants, friendship, circle of life...Just an idea.

June 22, 2009 at 5:34 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Hello Jenna -

Awesome article. I love reading about Finn's adventures. From what I have read, he is certainly a trickster, but a very cute, endearing one. LOL.

June 22, 2009 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Erica in San Jose said...

Jenna- What kind of goat is Finn? I am just learning about some of the diff breeds, but he is very cute!

Erica

June 22, 2009 at 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Erica in San Jose said...

nevermind- I'm a dork and actually read the article so now I know what kind Finn is! :)

June 23, 2009 at 1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home