Tuesday, May 12, 2009

this aint the OC

My neighbor Katie emailed me today at work to let me know my geese have a car alarm built in. When they hear the crackling studded snow tires of my Subaru they erupt into a cacophony of honks and run up to the driveway to meet me. They start this long before they see the car, or I turn into the drive. She said they ignore all other cars and trucks, and must know mine from the rest. I think that's neat. I have custom-imprinted goose valets. Take that, Housewives of Orange County.

Another long evening outside... The garden needed watering and weeding. The poultry house needed some tidying up and fresh food and water. The sheep needed their dinner (and fresh water as well). The kid needed to run and jump and chug down two bottles of formula. By the by, Finn's become an expert at head-butt-the-roosters, which is hands down his favorite game. You haven't witnessed joy till you've seen a goat kid make feathers explode in the air like that, and then watch him kick up his feet to the side in celebration. What a guy.

People have asked about my garden in the comments. To address a few of your questions: No, I don't plant my garden from my own transplanted seedlings. I either plant my seeds right in the ground (i.e potatoes, corn, onions, peas) or I buy six-packs of healthy started veggies. I am still fairly new to gardening, and since I am using my humble crops for food most of the summer, I hedge my bets with what I know I can pull off. But every year I learn more and more, and someday I hope to grow everything from seeds I saved myself. And as for my pesticides: I use an organic insecticidal soap on my leafy greens and basil, to help keep away the bugs that dine on those the most.

I am very content, but very tired. After the farm's needs, a walk with the dogs, and a bit of writing, I think my only aspirations will be my fiddle and that fireplace. With nights this week dipping near freezing (fingers crossed for the garden) the main source of heat now is that roaring evening blaze.

Tonight I did a little census and here are our totals:
11 raised beds (and counting)
10 hens (and counting)
7 rabbits (breeding adults, 5 kits)
4 roosters (would like 2)
3 sheep (Marvin's leaving though)
2 geese (live to be 40!)
2 dogs (roommates)
1 duck (asshole)
1 goat (adorable)
1 girl (exhausted)

13 Comments:

Blogger karental said...

Marvin's leaving???

May 12, 2009 at 7:49 PM  
Blogger granny said...

You have such a busy and interesting life!I enjoy your blog and have just received my copy of your book that I ordered from the UK.Im about half way through and wanted to tell you Im loving it :0)Good luck with the vegie gardens and I wish you a bumper crop.

May 12, 2009 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Yeah, his old farm misses him and asked for him back. How many people get to have old livestock back? It seems like the right thing to do. Finn will take his place in the flock.

Thanks Granny! Where are you located?

May 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Little Ant said...

I love the geese car alarms. Animals are so funny like that. My chickens will stay quiet in their coop in the morning until they see me moving around in the kitchen. Once they know I'm up and they aren't wasting their voices they start raising a ruckus to be let out.

May 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Carrie said...

Funny how they don't miss ol' Maude...

May 13, 2009 at 1:06 AM  
OpenID sensiblevermonter said...

:) Thank you for telling us a little more about your garden and practices! I have a lot of things planned out in my mind, but one thing I have yet to consider is keeping pests away. Is there any brand name you care to share that you use or where you pick it up? That way I can have an idea and backup plan if I get too frustrated/ferociously attacked by bugs.

May 13, 2009 at 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's up with the duck?

pgrass101

May 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

It's amazing to me that it's still near freezing at night in some places. Our spring planting season is over, and it will be too hot to put anything else in until about August when our fall crop goes in. So we're already in kick-back mode.

I'm sorry you have an asshole duck. Ours are nice, it's the rooster that's the a-hole. It's alright, though - we're grooming his replacement...

May 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger sferrando said...

You know what I love most about the photo? Your doggy peeking out the window as if to say, "What the heck is going on out there?"

May 13, 2009 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I am sorry about the duck - I have a dog like that. But he is cool looking. What kind of duck is he?

May 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Carol said...

Two roosters...do I smell a chicken dinner or ten in the works?

I had to laugh when I read the description of the duck!

Carol

May 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger Shona~ LALA dex press said...

As someone who is currently obsessing over The O.C. (why?) I love the title of this post.

May 14, 2009 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger kim said...

What a wonderful way to be greeted!!

May 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home