Saturday, May 9, 2009

raising a kid is a full time job.

This past week has been exhausting (in a good way). I get up an hour earlier now to tend the garden, bottle feed Finn, and take care of the other animals before work. By the time I pull into the office I've already carried hay across a field, mixed a potion of milk replacement in a glass Coke bottle with a rubber nipple, hauled water buckets, weeded hay-lined beds of young veggies and had a long shower. That's a lot to do before your first cup of coffee.

I'm not complaining either. I love this life, and the effort it entails. But man, have I been tired. But the chores are down to a system now. For example, this morning I grabbed hay from the porch and then let Finn out of his pen to follow me around while I fed the sheep (who are warming up to him), feed the chickens (which he chases), and check on Bean and her litter (which all 8 babes are alive and well). Finn follows me around perfectly. He'll be a great trail goat. And in the next few weeks he'll get banded (for castration) and start walking with me on trails on lead. It's somewhat exciting having a draft animal to raise. Every hoof-print with Finn has a purpose.

I bring him to the office everyday. His feeding schedule demands it. It's kind of hilarious seeing the cars out in the parking lot, with their back hatches open. The first car has an English Springer, the second a pointing Lab, the third...my goat. I'm glad Orvis is so cool about having animals in the office. But when you work for an outdoors company it would be ridiculous not to be, wouldn't it? Anyway, having him at my desk chair sucking on a bottle while I check my office emails is a perfect scene of my current life. Technology and the farm, all together now.

14 Comments:

Blogger Little Ant said...

Jenna it sounds like you have the perfect second job for someone whose first job is as a homesteader. Enjoy your baby, Finn. They grow up so fast.

May 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

How cool that Finn gets to come to work with you. Jenna have you ever experienced banding? I banded 4 last year myself. For the first 24 hours you will wish you hadn't done it. Dont falter or remove the band. He will think and cry as if he is dieing. Just hold him and pet him as much as possible during that time. The second 24 hours he will walk about stiff legged. There will be no jumping and playing for a few days. But before you know it he will be back to normal.

May 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Pam! said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM  
Blogger Sarah Rachelle said...

I'm trying to imagine a goat in a car or an office... lol! It sounds like fun, but you're right. Raising kids is a full time job whether they walk on four legs or two. :-)

May 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Pam! said...

Love that you get to bring your goat to work! Life is truly amazing.

May 9, 2009 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger David Shearer said...

Has Finns started to chew all the knobs off the dash board of your car yet?

May 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Bunny said...

Finn is just adorable! You are so lucky to be able to bring him to work. I can imagine the sweet scene of you checking your email at work while feeding Finn! Haha

May 9, 2009 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Mama said...

That rocks you have critter daycare at work;)

May 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking like David - aren't you afraid he'll chew your car? Aside from that, love you book and blog, you are living my dream. Gives me hope I can realize it, too! calif nancee

May 9, 2009 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

He's in a large dog crate on clean straw when he's not in the office or outside on the lawn running around. No knobs are getting chewed.

May 9, 2009 at 6:35 PM  
Anonymous Susan said...

Wow! Goats at work! Does Orvis need a database administrator?

May 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People told me that whole cow's milk is better for kids than the replacer stuff....You might want to check it out.

May 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger Mimi said...

Jenna, Finn is adorable! I enlarged the picture and laughed out loud at how cute he is. I told you before I bought your book and have been reading your past blogs to catch to now. Two of my friends also bought your book after I spent an entire lunchtime raving about your accomplishments and plans! I wish you more success than you could even imagine. You work so hard and you sure deserve to go far in your plans. I'm a huge fan, Mimi

May 11, 2009 at 10:01 AM  
Blogger Happy Days said...

What a nice understanding boss!! Sounds like Finn is setteling in just fine. Poor guy - doesn't have a clue what's in store for him!! good luck...debbie

May 16, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home