Tuesday, May 5, 2009

poultry swap!

Sunday I was up early, even for me. I had to get a jump on the day since I had quite the schedule ahead of me. The morning activities included all the usual farm chores, but along with all that, I was heading to a livestock tailgate party over the state line.

The annual Schaghticoke Poultry Sway happens the first weekend of May. Picture a fairgrounds parking lot with endless cages, squawking, chirping and animals and people everywhere. Folks pretty much park their trucks and set up shop. Need a rabbit? A peacock? Maybe you had your eyes on a black lamb or a goat kid - you can get those things here. It's quite a show. I scored two new laying hens. Little girls, just fifteen weeks old, but promising. They're scared of everything right now and haven't left the coop once.

I showed up to the swap with a sneaking suspicion a goat kid would be riding in the passenger seat on the drive home. I wanted a young buck I could train for pack work. I have two packing dogs, but with Jazz and Annie are both nearly ten years old, the idea of taking them out for long treks in the Vermont mountains seems less and less possible.

But a goat like Finn, he's a natural mountain man-agile, fast, made for steep climbs and happy to help carry the burden. I've been reading up on training a draft animal of this sort, and so far Finn's big job is to walk on a leash, which he's doing well. I've taken him with me to work, Tractor Supply, Wayside, everywhere I go throughout the day this kid is with me. Learning people, and noises, and following me around with his tail wagging. I can't wait till we're in those mountains together. Just a gypsy and her violin and her trusty goat...Few things are that perfect together.

14 Comments:

Blogger Tami SouthStreetShabby.blogspot.com said...

Ohhhh Jenna...lunchtime in your office must be a hoot! You never know what/who you're bringing. Love your story, Tami

May 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger bellananda said...

ohhhhhh, he's beautiful! and how lucky are you that you can bring a GOAT to work -- i can't even get away with dogs in a dog-loving office. (of course, it's in the middle of an office tower...heh)

May 5, 2009 at 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't look now but someone is following you with a camera. :)

May 5, 2009 at 11:58 PM  
Blogger Jessica Wynne said...

Oh man is he a cutie! I love goats! I can't wait to follow this new adventure!

May 6, 2009 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger Happy Days said...

What do you do with him at work all day?? Do you have an office or work outside? What a hoot! Have you secured all your fencing yet? lol ...debbie

May 6, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

If he hasn't been wethered (castrated) I strongly suggest that you consider doing that if he's to be a pack/draft animal. Or, in fact, if he's going to do anything other than stud. He WILL become very, err, "randy", and not in an "oh, isn't that cute" way.

May 6, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger spinyurchin said...

Love that collar.

May 6, 2009 at 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

I love that you can bring your goat to work. He's a handsome fellow.

May 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger jhazen said...

I seem to remember you have some kind of techie day-job. Do you use the dvorak keyboard layout?

Just curious, because the "poultry sway" typo is pretty unusual for qwerty.

Anyway, weird that that's the first thing that got me to leave a comment. I love reading about the life you're creating, and hope to have something like it at some point. Congrats on the new friend.

May 6, 2009 at 6:21 PM  
Blogger Yellow Jacket Ridge Angoras said...

Oh My Gosh he's adorable!!!! I wish we had a swap like that. I have 13 kids I need to sell within the next month.

The Old Man and His Dog asked me to stop by and give you some pointers....my suggestion is to go to homesteadingtoday.com and sign up for the goat forum and also google the goat spot. That's an amazing site as well. You can call on members to help with just about any goat emergency that comes your way or just stop in to talk "goat". Wishing you and your little friend Happy Tails and Trails!

May 6, 2009 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Mountain Man said...

It's funny, you had a sneaking suspicion that you may get a goat kid but what are the odds that your outfit would match the color of the new kid..that's fate!

May 7, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
OpenID steelkitten said...

That's a fantastic plan for the little fella. Poor old Jazz and Annie will be a bit miffed if they get left behind on adventures though!

May 7, 2009 at 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Carol said...

I love that picture of you with the goat on the mountain. You have such a way with words. I've never heard of a goat as a pack animal. What a cool thing. That is a great picture of you holding it too.

Carol

May 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I'm totally agreeing with Tara here. I was curious why you chose a buck instead of a whether. They're much easier to work with and no nasty urinating in their beards! (Yes, bucks do it. No, I don't think it's sexy. Goats are very confusing.)

May 15, 2009 at 11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home