Saturday, May 2, 2009

gardens and a poultry swap!

It's a cool, damp, Saturday morning here in Vermont. The coffee's on the stove, and that is something I will allow trick me into thinking it's a lot nicer outside than it is. I have big plans to spend most of the day in the garden. So far the dogs already walked, the rabbits are fed, and the sheep are munching on hay as I type. I can hear the roosters in the coop, but refuse to let them out before 8AM on a Saturday morning. It doesn't seem fair to my neighbors to have a rooster in their lawn before any good cartoons even come on.

I'm at ground zero of a weekend that should be productive. Today, the garden and tomorrow, the poultry swap! Day one will be knee-deep in the dirt, getting this garden to a respectable place. I plan on planting a few dozen new vegetables in the ground I turned over last week. But before I do there is a lot more work to be done on the chicken coop and weeding fronts. But if my plan goes through, by end of day today I'll have four or five raised beds planted, and between them, thick piles of straw feeding the soil and killing those damned weeds.

Sunday is a big day as well. It's an annual Schaghticoke Poultry Swap. Every first Sunday in May local farmers and hobbyists get together for this little expo. We'll sell birds, trade livestock, get new animals in and out our doors. I am hoping to come home with a few layers and possibly get rid of a rooster or two. Wish me luck out there where the feathers fly.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Beegirl said...

Have a great time! Hope you come home with some new friends!

May 2, 2009 at 8:10 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Have a great time. Can't wait to see pictures - that is, if you take any.

May 2, 2009 at 8:26 AM  
Anonymous Brandy said...

Hi! I just found your blog... could you tell me what the hours are for the swap tomorrow?

Thanks!
Brandy

May 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Summerbeam gardener said...

Jenna,
I just read your book, which was very enjoyable. I'm glad to see, after reading your most recent blog, that your dream of sheep has come true. I dream of chickens here at my urban homestead in downtown Fredericksburg, VA. Our city ordinances forbid poultry, but I still imagine ways to squeeze a small flock into the neighborhood. As they say, "It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission."
In addition to my tiny garden here at home, I have been working as a CSA farmer (for about 12 years) on a piece of land 10 miles from here--lots of vegetables, berries, and even bees in the works.
I look forward to reading more about your farm adventures!
Happy growing,
-Heidi

May 2, 2009 at 8:38 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

i think it opens at 7AM, get there early! I'll be the girl in a plaid shirt and a stupid hat.

May 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Lynnanne said...

A poultry swap sounds pretty cool... and I'm left wondering why we don't have such a thing around here. If you can get your hands on some history and details, I'd sure love to read about it --with the thoughts in the back of my mind of poultry swappin' around here!
We have flea markets, etc., where you might find the occasional animal. Is yours run the same way where you have a booth rent, etc. ?

May 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please take lots of pictures, even of animals you DON"T bring home. I'm living vicariously through you, since where I live now, I am limited to just my dogs, cats, and a few chickens. I WANT sheep, goats, bees, etc, but those will all have to wait until we move out of town in a few years. In the meantime, I'd love to SEE what a poultry swap LOOKS like, through your lens! Enjoy it. It sounds like so much fun.

Coffeedog

May 2, 2009 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I'll take pictures!

May 2, 2009 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger djp said...

sounds like fun!

May 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been reading your blog for a week. Read the article in MEN, got your book from the library. You go, girl! In addition to your discussion of lovely mountain musical instruments, I would like to give a shout out for the ukulele. It, too, is acoustic, small, portable, made of wood, and has strings. I have a dulcimer and I love it (they don't call it "sweet music" for nothing, do they?) I have tried guitar on and off (more off) over the years and my scrawny, bony fingers have a hard time spanning the neck and fretting the chords. Enter the ukulele. It has four strings. My research has revealed that, in addition to the "standard" ukulele (a/k/a soprano, the one we all think of) there is a Concert, Tenor, and Baritone, all getting progressively larger, with deeper sound as the instrument gets bigger. The bari uke is still smaller than the smallest half-size or 3/4 size guitar. The beauty of the bari uke is that the four strings are tuned to the top four of a guitar, D, G, B, E, so if you already play guitar, you are on your way with the baritone ukulele. The other ukuleles have a different tuning, but are supposed to be just as easy to play. I ordered a Lanikai Bari Uke online and it is due here (central Illinois) mid-week. Can't wait! Ukulele is Hawaiian for "jumping flea" but the bari uke is more mellow in sound, less jumping flea.

May 2, 2009 at 10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi again, it's the anonymous ukulele player. I go by "prov31wannabe" but I don't have a blog or web site, whatever, and couldn't figure out how to identify myself (choose an identity) when leaving a comment. sorry. must go knit now.

May 2, 2009 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Chelli said...

Sounds like a great time! Have fun... hope you have better weather there than we do down here i OK! It's beginning to feel like Washington state!

May 3, 2009 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home