Thursday, April 30, 2009

welcome to the neighborhood

When I drive over the state line to Hebron for hay—I never know what's in store for me. New York may only be a few miles from my door, but it's an entirely different world from Vermont. (Let's just say there's more tractors than Volvos over there.) Last weekend I ran into a small herd of young cattle using Nelson's (my dealer) neighbor's yard as pasture. To see twenty calves eating take out in a lawn is kinda great. As I drove by I rolled down the window and got a shot of this kid near the mailbox. He mooed back at me, and I drove back to CAF with a station wagon full of hay bales.

I love living out here.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

I was in upstate New York last year, and it is fantastic there! Vinyards, tiny towns that made my friend say "I feel like I'm in practical magic!"

We came over a hill at one point to see a horse running in front of us in our lane! He turned off eventually

April 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger spinyurchin said...

Ha, what a cutie. I've had a bear in the backyard...but never a cow!!

April 30, 2009 at 11:32 PM  
Blogger kikejoka said...

I am an upstate New Yorker and yes definitely more tractors than volvos ! We need them if not for the farming, for all the snow we get !

With a car full of hay, you were lucky those cows didn't follow you home .... !!

May 1, 2009 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger White Feather said...

Ha, cows! Wonderful. Hope your weekend is a productive one again. I have stuff breaking through already that I planted last weekend. Actually had radishes and some onions up in four days. Woo hoo!

May 1, 2009 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Sarah Lee said...

Jenna, I'm curious. How did you name your farm? It's an interesting name, and I figured there must be some kind of story behind it.

May 5, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home