Friday, April 3, 2009

terror

When I pulled into the farm after work last night, I saw a terrible thing.

Marvin and Sal, my two trusty wethers, were standing by the fence line baaing for hay. But behind them, a pile of limp wool lay in the shade. Oh my god...Maude.

Without even turning off the ignition, I bolted out of the car and raced to the sheep pen. Marvin and Sal watched me like a pair of golden retrievers behind chain link, sordid, quiet. Their mood made me worry more. I mean, they aren't usually wagging their tales and jumping at the fence, but they generally have some spark to them. Were they concerned too? Under the pine tree, Maude laid limp, her legs out, her head on the ground with her back to me.

"Maude?" I called, terrified. I was shocked at my own concern. Shocked that I ran to her like a toddler in front of a bus. Shocked that my heart was racing at the idea that something may have happened to her. Shocked I cared this much about this horrible animal. She still wasn't moving. Oh no...

"MAUDE!" I got louder.

Then, her ear flicked, and slowly she turned her angry face towards me. She stood up on her hooves, looked at me like I led the fourth reich, and baaed a low, pissed-off belch. Then turned around and laid down again in her shade, her rump facing my stance. She wasn't dead, she was napping.

I was never happier to be dissed by a sheep in my life.

11 Comments:

Blogger Barb and Steve said...

How scary for you! You're a good sheep mom :-)
Barb
http://the-big-red-barn-blog.blogspot.com/

April 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM  
Anonymous Rachel B said...

I'm glad to hear that Maude is okay! The first time that I found my rabbit, Bubbles, napping on her side, I thought she was a goner, too.

April 3, 2009 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I'm so glad that ended well. I was on pins and needles waiting to read what happened to her! I'm so glad she was just napping!

April 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM  
Anonymous dogear6 said...

Gotta love them. It's like having a cranky relative.

April 3, 2009 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger The Cottage Comtesse said...

Oh, my! I know that feeling! What a relief for you! I read your post on the edge of my seat.

April 3, 2009 at 7:42 PM  
OpenID chickadeeworkshop said...

Is it just not the norm for them to nap during the day, or is it that she was laying down in such a "dead to the world" position? Or the combination. I just know nothing about sheep.

April 3, 2009 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger SWEETHEARTS MOM said...

LOL this cracks me up. You know the wethers had been threatened by her while she waited to scare the pee out of you! I can just hear her now..."Go stand next to the fence and be quiet...if you act happy I am going to chew your ears off while you sleep!"

April 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM  
OpenID steelkitten said...

Animals just don't appreciate how much we worry about them. In fact I'm positive they have sick sense of humours and do this stuff on purpose to scare the life out of us.

Glad to hear Maude was just having 40 winks...although sheep lying on their side is unusual because they have difficulty getting up again under the weight of all the wool.

I thought it was an old sheep commandment: though shalt not lie on thy side because thy will get stuck down there and blow up like a balloon.

April 4, 2009 at 3:31 AM  
Blogger spinyurchin said...

Argh! I had to skip to the end to make sure Maude was okay....not that anyone cares.... (cough, study fingernails in a non-concerned way).

April 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger John Taylor said...

Glad to hear that everything was OK. Animals like children can scare the crap out of you! :-)

John

April 4, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Anonymous AmyKortuem said...

If she's going to diss you, she at least could have looked alive while doing it. Glad things turned out with a happy ending!

April 4, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home