Monday, April 20, 2009

strumming and jogging

So the farm is jogging into spring. In the next week weekends the garden will have seeds and started plants in the ground. The Angora Doe, Bean Blossom, will be delivering a litter of kits, and new chickens bought at the annual Poultry Swap will be strutting around the yard. Slowly the grass is starting to show up, and my arms are starting to feel the soreness of the rake. Evenings at the farm call to my guitar, fiddle, and banjo. I sit on my porch with the dogs and play and sing, sometimes with a hard cider in my hand, just to spice it up. A small prayer for fall, which I miss more than any of you know.

UConn yesterday was great. The University Bookstore hosted a fine author event, and about thirty people came to hear about the book. I got to meet some blog readers, shake hands, play some nervous fiddle music, and drive around campus (which was all green hills and beautiful). It reminded me of UT back in Knoxville, and a small part of me pined for Market Square and that old scene. Oh, Tennessee. The only ghost I'm haunted by...

My bags of wool are all awaiting processing. The plan is to hand spin some, and send the rest off to be processed at a small mill. The end result will be blankets, yarn, hats, scarves, and hell, maybe even a sweater if I'm feeling brassy. But just having the sheep shorn, and seeing them adjust to their new bodies has been an educational experience. This morning when I went out to check on the flock I couldn't see them. Usually, soon as daylight breaks they are pacing in the pen, yelping for breakfast. But this morning the chilly air and lack of wool changed their habits. They were all asleep in a pile in their shed, which had just been lined with clean straw. I had to yell for them to get up and watch them trot out baahing for hay. They look like goatdogs now, like a white Labrador and a goat were mixed together. Quite the combo, them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Just curious... can you tell them apart now?

April 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Leiflet said...

Seeing the pics of the shorn sheep next to the wooly sheep is really, really funny. Really funny.

I think of A) me at 6 not wanting to get a haircut; B) dudes entering the army; C) Adam Ewing shaving his eternal beard; D) redeemed homeless man in an Archie comic from my youth getting his first shower in months.

I'm jealous of your farm! Maybe i'll take Soren up to see you in the Fall...?

April 21, 2009 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Cheapo Mimi in Nashville said...

If you think you miss Knoxville, you should try moving away from Nashville & middle TN. Waaaah!! We are so happy to live in this beautiful state again. I hope to be able to sell flowers in my roadside stand someday. Until then, I can only live vicariously through determined women like you!

April 21, 2009 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog. I live in Oliver Springs, Tn. I work for the UT Extension office. My son raises natural colored sheep. He shows them in 4-H. I hope your dreams come true.

April 22, 2009 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Carol G said...

I must say, your blog is very addicting and I can't seem to stay away... I'm gonna have to get your book, I guess!

April 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home