Sunday, April 12, 2009

breaking out

After a few years of homesteading, I now know exactly what the sound of fugitive sheep hooves on a wooden porch sounds like. When a breakout occurs, the flock always make a run for the porch. It makes sense. That's where the hay is stored. And this morning, as a light snowfall covered the farm, I was shaken out of bed by a "clop clup Cluppy BANG!"- which is what clumsy hooves knocking over a water pail sound like. Very cumbersome antics, those.

As this happened, Jazz and Annie whipped their heads out of sleep. Jazz showed every tooth in his wolfy mouth. This is also, something I am accustomed. Waking up to fangs doesn't phase me in the slightest. I pet his head, half awake, and told him "That'll do.." He lowered his lips over his canines and placed his head back on a pillow, then curled his back for another round of sleep. My dogs are all talk and no consequence. I however, needed to wrangle some ovine...

I smiled, stretched, and went outside with the camera to get photographic evidence of the convict. There by the porch was Sal. (The only one who jumped the fence. The others were watching from the pen.) He was chewing on his pilfered breakfast, glaring at me. I laughed. Then I grabbed an armful of hay and asked him to follow me back to the pen. He heeled beside me like a golden retriever. The snow fell like cold ash around us as we walked back to the flock.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mama Pea said...

NEVER a dull moment on a farm/homestead, is there? Great pictures of the escapee.

Your bee helmet on the porch looks suspiciously like a lovely Easter bonnet ready for you to don today.

Happy Easter!

April 12, 2009 at 9:49 AM  
OpenID mountainchicken said...

Look at that guilty mug.

April 12, 2009 at 11:03 AM  
Anonymous kellyB said...

Sal looks he'saying "whatta ya lookin at?"

April 12, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just finished Made From Scratch last night. Loved the account of the first time the sheep escaped. Funny how it's become a non event for the sheep, the dogs and you. :)

Happy Easter from the Sierra Foothills

April 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Anonymous AmyKortuem said...

MUCH cuter and sweeter than three impatient kitties sticking their lips under the bedroom door and bellowing, "Mrrrrom." At least Sal had the good grace to look slightly sorry and guilty.

April 12, 2009 at 11:21 PM  
Blogger Dina said...

I just found your blog. I think I love you. You're not short on kindred spirit sisters, are you? Let's join forces and get my husband to agree to two chickens. Just two. It'll all snowball from there, I know it.

April 15, 2009 at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home