Sunday, March 8, 2009

we're so fancy

This week my Books for a Better Life Award came in the mail. It is by far the fanciest thing I now own. I brought it out to the sheep and chickens to show it off, but no one seemed to care. Well, Marvin was possibly interested in eating it, and gave it a lick, but that was the closest thing to an ovine accolade I got. Maude hates anything that has to do with me, including acrylic book-shaped objects, and so she just gave me her trademark glare. Oh 'ol reliable Maude. Surely you will live forever.

I showed the chickens and Sam perched on it without defecating on it, so I guess that's a thumbs up. Besides that little pat on the back, none of the other birds seemed to notice and/or care. Aren't I a classy broad? I get a fancy award and walk around my muddy farm shoving it in livestock's' personal space. I bet Michael Pollan just put his on his mantel like a reasonable person. But Pollan doesn't live with vindictive sheep and codependent poultry, so really comparison has no merit. I tell myself things.

P.S. Big farm update to follow later tonight.

10 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Congratulations again Jenna, well deserved. If sheep are anything like people, Maude will indeed live forever.

March 8, 2009 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger Melonie said...

WElllll, Maude didn't attack it, so I'd say that's actually a kudo from her too.

A much deserved honor - I'm sure there are many more in your future. :-) Congrats again!

March 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

Quite lovely, and well deserved. And, you know, as far as the animals are concerned...if it can't feed them or water them, they pretty much don't see the point, eh? It will look equally nice on your mantel, even with a little Marvin spit on it! ~Vonnie

March 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM  
Blogger Leiflet said...

I was thinking of how you could put it on your mantel, but then i thought it'd be better to leave the book award respectfully displayed in the chicken coop.

My brother Pete keeps a wonderful life sized portrait of our grandma in his chicken coop, and affectionately refers to her as the "Patron Saint of the Chickens."

March 9, 2009 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Jen A said...

Jenna, Congratulations on your award. I just finished your book yesterday afternoon and will treasure it as a great resource. You've talked me out of the angora bunny I thought I wanted but have encouraged me to plant a container of tomatoes on my back porch and to keep casting on warm woolen projects for my family. I will be recommending your book to others. Thank you for all the work you put into it.

March 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger spinyurchin said...

That's a really funky award. Congrats again!

March 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Thistledog said...

Yes, well, they live the essence of that award every day: A better life, in your care... so really the object that represents is nonsensical to them. (Me thinks ol' Maude is actually a bit jealous. You might have usurped whatever role she thought she should play in her sheep's life and damn if she'll ever forgive you for that...)

March 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM  
Blogger ~ Denise ~ said...

Hey, I picked up your book from the library and really enjoyed it. Congrats on the award, as well. ;)

March 9, 2009 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Congrats again on the award!!

You got me wondering about that big farm update that was promised.

March 9, 2009 at 4:31 PM  
OpenID steelkitten said...

Congratulations on the award!

March 9, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home