Thursday, March 5, 2009

maggot from scratch

So a Dutch newspaper reviewed the book and sadly, I don't speak Dutch. So I took the link into an online translator and this is what was fed back to me. It is fantastic. Enjoy this with your coffee, and if someone out there speaks Dutch, you can read the correct review here.

I weet or it by the recession do not come, or by approaching spring, or by my current shortage to hobby (I have stopped with gitaarles and now threaten a serious hobby lacuna), but I have been all of a sudden interested touched in everything itself make. As in: everything. Itself makes. That came by Article concerning Jenna Woginrich in an American illustrated magazine.

Jenna Woginrich are one woman of a year or twenty-five which make everything itself. In the illustrated magazine empty them how you had determine deodorant. There also a recipe assisted. That recipe I have not succeeded, because I find that you must take no risk with deodorant. But I found Jenna intriguing, therefore read to the end I in one evening its book maggot from Scratch, Discovering the Pleasures or a hand maggot life. Jenna do in that book what I always, but where I to be stopped 1. work. intense idleness have wanted do 2. circumstances and 3: they is on a farm will live and make everything itself. She cultivates vegetables, sapwood wool, keeps chickens and bakes bread. Sometimes she conducts it something too far by: thus she plays in the book approximately in each chapter a tune on its banjo whereas them on the loading platform of its pick-uptruck sit and to the sun perdition looks at. She does also inept things, such as its dogs learn how they must draw a luge, what is according to me simply an excuse for always `Gee! (`Rechtsaf! in dog wear eel) and `Haw! (`Linksaf! ) to call. But well, that her has been granted.

In maggot from Scratch lay Jenna from how its sluice-gate truss has started them, and goes fortunately thereby much wrong. Especially the animals must pay for it. Its chickens opgegeten become firstly by its dogs, then the twenty thousand bees in its itself-built hive are driven off by a bear, and then must them its angora rabbit with a gun from its suffering release after that rabbit has been scared this way of the barking of Jenna dog, which it has pootje have been sprained and the wounded pootje themselves have aangevreten and has paralysed has touched. Yes, said nobody that always nice it was, an own farm have. But after I book from had, seemed it me still nice. What this way well is: Jenna have there simply negen-tot-vijf a job beside, on an office. She makes Internet sites. Furthermore of kitchen garden and banjo you cannot touch almost. There is therefore hope, also for me.

17 Comments:

Anonymous wildallium said...

"Yes, said nobody that always nice it was, an own farm have."

love.

March 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger becca jo said...

brilliant!
PS i cried at the rabbit part, like, a lot. even though i grew up in a hunting family....

March 5, 2009 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Ernst-Jan said...

Dutch speak.. Dutch, not Danish :)
Congratulations with your review, Aaf is one of the most famous columnists in Holland.

March 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Allisone said...

"you must take no risk with deodorant"
Is it just me, or is that DYING to be spelled out in cross stitch, framed on the bathroom wall?

March 5, 2009 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

Hysterical and totally nonsensical once literally translated. I love that language barrier, such a funny human species thing. But, I get that perhaps he liked it, so good for you!! Maybe your book will be translated into Dutch, then French, then Italian, maybe even Mauri or whatever...next you'll see "translated into 150 different languages" on your reprint dust jacket! Okay, that's grandeur, but cool beans anyways, Jenna!
~Vonnie

March 5, 2009 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Thistledog said...

Oh so charming and funny...

I'm with wildallium on that quote -
"Yes, said nobody that always nice it was, an own farm have."

That belongs in a book, as a caption to an illustration starring your critters and place.

March 5, 2009 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Hilarious! and "you must take no risk with deodorant" was my favorite bit. Words to live by, to be sure.

March 5, 2009 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Awesome. My favorite:

In maggot from Scratch lay Jenna from how its sluice-gate truss has started them, and goes fortunately thereby much wrong. Especially the animals must pay for it.

March 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The farm.....100 thousand
The Dogs....200
The rabbits....35

Taking no risk with deoderant...priceless

-Kate

March 5, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger taylor said...

Doesn't Ms. Cunfer's sister or something live over in the Netherlands? For some reason I thought I remember her saying that.. or maybe it was Sweden.

March 5, 2009 at 7:51 PM  
Anonymous RC said...

"She does also inept things". Don't we all? Haven't been by to see your blog in a while {too cold this time of year, even if I am not exactly directly exposed} but read many entries and all seems well, and congratulations on your book award.
Please tend to that wounded pootje, you don't want that thing to fester.

March 5, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Tell me that was google translator! hilarious!

March 5, 2009 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger spinyurchin said...

Wow! Your dogs can luge? That will be the best Winter Olympics ever.

March 5, 2009 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger girlwithasword said...

Giggling MADLY. Made my day. thanks for the great post!

March 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM  
Anonymous Debbie Stoller said...

That's a lot funnier than the actual article, which is something like this (I grew up speaking Dutch as a kid but a true adult dutchie could probably do a better job).

Nobody Said Having a Farm Was Always Fun

I don’t know if it’s because of the recession, or the approaching spring, or my shortness of hobbies (I stopped my guitar lessons and now there’s a serious hobby shortage), but I’m suddenly interested in making everything myself. As in: everything.

This came as the result of reading an article about Jenna Woginrich in an American magazine. Jenna Wonginrich is twenty-five year old woman who makes everything herself. In the magazine article she explained how you can make your own deodorant. A recipe was included.

I didn’t follow the recipe, because I feel that you can’t take risks with deodorant. But I was intrigued by Jenna, and so in one evening I read her entire book, Made from Scratch...

In the book, Jenna does what I have always wanted to do, but what I’ve been held back from because of 1. work , 2. circumstances, and 3. intense laziness: She went to live on a farm and make everything herself. She grows vegetables, spins wool, keeps chickens and bakes bread. Sometimes she takes it all a bit too far: so in just about every chapter of her book she plays a banjo while sitting in the back of a pick-up truck and watching the sunset. She also does senseless things, such as teaching her dogs how to pull her in a sled, which I think is just an excuse for her to yell “Gee!” (“left” in dog language) and “Haw!” (Right!). But fine, that’s her prerogative.

In Made from Scratch, Jenna explains how her farm began, and luckily alot went wrong with that. Mostly, the animals pay for that. First her chicken is eaten by her dogs, then the twenty thousand bees in her homemade beehive are chased by a bear, then she has to put her angora rabbit out of it’s misery with a gun because the rabbit was so shaken by the barking of Jenna’s dog that he broke his leg, chewed on his own wound, and became lame.

Nobody said having a farm was always fun.

But even after I finished the book, it still seemed fun to me. What’s so great is that Jenna has a regular nine to five job in an office. She makes websites. It’s harder to get farther from a banjo and a farm than that. And so there’s still hope, even for me.

March 7, 2009 at 8:30 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I am happy mosts that the hand maggot life of Jenna goes fortunately thereby much wrong since all we learn about is very much and sprained pootje and since Lauren does also inept things and still is learning to how maggot love.

March 8, 2009 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Debbie, thanks!

March 9, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home