Tuesday, March 3, 2009

hey! snap pea planters!

Isn't that necklace fancy? I dig it. I found it on etsy while looking for antler necklaces (don't judge). You can click on the picture to go to the sellers page if you're so inclined. Jewlry aside, I just wanted to remind all you container gardeners that it's probably time to transfer those peat pots and seedlings into larger containers. That is if you haven't already. Once those suckers hit about 4 inches they need new cribs.

You'll also start to see these guys grasping for something to climb onto. I suggest placing them near a window that won't freeze them so they can climb up the wall. But you can also plant them in a large floor planter a few inches away from one another and buy one of those tomato baskets you see in garden stores. Or you could be like me and just rig something out of chopsticks and dowel rods. Whatever works guys. Burn the Buddha if you're cold.

Oh, and a short PSA. If you are using the peat pots with the panty-hose type webbing around them, make sure you remove that mesh before you plant it. I've known too many seedlings to get choked by that stuff, regardless of what the instructions say.

10 Comments:

Anonymous cathy said...

Hey Jenna,
I gave my peas a chance, but I think I killed them. Nothing's grown. I might try again, or I might just wait and buy seedlings later in the spring.

March 3, 2009 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You must be spying on me! I transplanted my peas yesterday, and will be rigging up some sort of jungle gym for them today . . . pictures soon!

March 3, 2009 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

My peas sprouted, but they're still tiny - an inch tall, maybe. :(

March 3, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Dear Jenna - Peas be with you.

March 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger crstn85 said...

We had our first sprout over the weekend. I hope the rest of them survived (I left them at school, then we had a snow storm and it turned into a 3 day weekend). Apparently peas bought this year, watered with a spray bottle and living on the 4th floor of the school sprout first. I'm hoping my first floor dudes catch up soon!

March 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger kd said...

Mine have been transplanted to their bigger homes and are about 5-8 inches tall already! I rigged a little trellis out of a wire hangers and twine. It's so nice having a little green in the apartment with this cold, snowy weather.

March 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MINE ARE REALLY GROWING. PLAN TO TIE A STRING TO A PLANT HANGER HOOK IN THE CEILING. HOPE THIS WORKS.

March 5, 2009 at 2:14 AM  
Blogger Darx said...

Whoops! I just put my pea in a big pot to start out with, was that bad? He's grown to about 6 inches or so already, starting to touch his little trellis. I take a picture of him every day and am having a great time watching him and cheering him on. Thanks for getting this project going, Jenna, I most assuredly would not have done it without your encouragement.

March 6, 2009 at 8:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

not bad at all, i did the same thing. mine are in a larger pot to save the hassle.

March 6, 2009 at 8:37 AM  
Blogger Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

August 16, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home