Thursday, March 19, 2009

cold morning dogs

It's a cold, rainy morning here at Cold Antler. In a few minutes I'll be outside in the morning dark feeding the chickens and sheep by lantern light, but right now I'm trying to prep the percolator and wake up the dogs. Jazz and Annie are still curled up on the bed, watching me with mild interest and raised eyebrows. They know it''s cold, dark, and rainy outside. No part of them feels the need to rush out into the wet just yet. But dogs don't feed sheep, so they can revel in that luxury. I throw on my jacket, pull my hat over my eyes, grab the lantern and go.

This week has been dedicated (writing wise anyway) to preparing the proposal for another book, so I apologize for the thin attention to the blog. But don't fret. Soon that will be in the mail (with my fingers crossed) and I'll be so deep in spring farm work you'll quickly grow tired of all the updates. That's for certain.

I did post a small update to the Happy Homesteader blog at Mother Earth News, so if you're interested in that just click the link on the right hand side of the blog here. Enjoy your day folks, hope yours is dryer.

8 Comments:

Blogger angeljoy said...

Found your book at my local library and was first drawn to the artistic cover. I am really enjoying reading it! I am a long way from homesteading but dream of it...

March 19, 2009 at 6:50 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Woohoo!! I can't wait to see your next book! I adored the first one, and this blog helps me live vicariously through you so that I don't go completely insane while I wait for my own farm to come to me. Yay!

March 19, 2009 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger info said...

Off subject...I just got this silly forwarded link from YouTube and thought of you right away when I saw it, you may have seen it already, but in case not...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

March 19, 2009 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger Diana said...

info: LOVED the video. What a cool idea; drawing with sheep! Time to learn to light 'em up, Jenna! BAAAAA

March 19, 2009 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Hi Jenna!

I just spent a week at my cabin in VT, about 45 minutes north of you. My surprise of the week: four bears, a mom and three cubs. I last heard momma bear late last year. I had been locked out of my place since January -- lock broke, stood up by a locksmith, etc., so this was my longest trip since December.

And guess who made her presence known? Momma bear. She likes a spot right out front. All I have to do is open the door to get a growl.

I watched where she and the cubs went from a window. The folks from the horse ranch and the dairy farm -- on either side of me -- also took an interest, riding up on horses and in a truck. Apparently momma bear has been getting around the rural neighborhood.

So, bears, mud, a lot of sunshine, rain this morning -- and now back in the city in New York. I gotta sell this place in NY. I keep trying to find an excuse to go back to VT tomorrow morning. I'm working hard on it!

I love your blog!

Kate

March 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

two people sent me this today! thanks! I adored it.

March 19, 2009 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger kate said...

P.S. I got your book out of the library here in NY and finished it the day before I left for my week in VT. Nice book! I like your writing style. Maybe I should check it out again and try to get a picture with momma bear!

March 19, 2009 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Good luck with book the second Jenna, I'm sure it will be as much of a positive inspiration as your first. I picked up "Backyard Homestead" like you recommended and it really is fantastic. I don't know if you have it, but the book "Back to Basics" from Reader's Digest is an incredible book with advice on how to do everything like back in the day. It is my how-to for when society collapses (however, no mention of what to do in the zombie apocalypse)

March 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home