Thursday, March 26, 2009

burning daylight

There is a cold spring rain outside cabin as I type. Compared to just a few short weeks ago, the days seem long. Tonight after work today I took Jazz and Annie out for a muddy-road jog and by the time we came home, did the farm chores, plucked the banjo on the porch, and then came in to finally cook dinner...there was still a hunt of daylight. Summer is not far off, my friends. Not far off at all.

Sometimes, for kicks, I look back at the July archives of this blog and I am amazed I live in the same place. Cold Antler right now is a hideous mudpit of chicken poo, melting snow, dirty baling wire and old hay. But to think, in just a few months the garden, chicks, bees, and I will all be living under lush green leaves, and treading barefoot over soft grass... seems impossible. But every year the impossible happens, and I spend it sweating in the garden and swaying in the hammock. It's a fair trade.

My snap peas are growing just fine, about two feet tall. I have an office team and a cabin team, and the cabin team seems to be winning the race. But both plants are doing well. It's really great to look over from my design work and see those two seedlings become what they'll become. In a few weeks my desk will be awash in white blossoms. I can not wait. I get excited about such things.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenna,
Just wanted to let you know again how much I enjoy your blog and your book. Hope things work our well for the second book too. I too get pleasures from the small things and it's so nice to have someone like you remind us of what life has to offer us. We're already enjoying the beautiful spring in Alabama and hopefully it will find its way to you soon. Wish I could sit on the porch with you and listen to your music.

Joyce S in Alabama
jste634838@aol.com

March 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Rabbits ate my peas. :(

Oh well, it was shaping up to be a not-so-great year for peas here anyway - to hot too soon. I'm crossing my fingers for some killer hot peppers.

March 27, 2009 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Jenna I have a question. When the white blossoms appear on the snap peas do they need to be pollinated to produce? How does that happen indoors?

March 27, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Bev said...

My cat ate my peas...all of them. I think he thought it was an indoor salad bar. I'm going to grow some outdoors soon, but then I'll have to contend with the bunnies, too!

March 27, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Anonymous lydia said...

hey, i just stumbled upon this site randomly, but can i just say: i want to be you.

March 27, 2009 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger David Shearer said...

Jenna,

You, and your ideas, are a breath of fresh air for an old man. It's wonderful to see you balance a back to the land idealism with the realities of the world. You should take the time to visit the history of some of your predecessors in this idealism. Two notables come to mind; Raymond Mungo and Veranda Porche. They were early pioneers of the back to the land movement in the 60's. Veranda still lives on the Total Loss Farm outside of Guilford, VT at Packer Corner, last I heard. It's not far from Sandgate.

Good luck to you in your efforts. You are on the right path.

Sincerely,
David S. Shearer
FPL Ranch
Arroyo Grande, CA

March 27, 2009 at 5:10 PM  
Anonymous RayMan said...

This is a reply to "Judy" about her peas.
Peas are considered to be "perfect" as the pea is polinated and begins to grow BEFORE the blossom opens. No pollinator is needed although, they ARE appreciated by the peas for the "extra help". And, in case you don't know, tomatos are the same.
Luck with your garden!

March 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger kate said...

Rabbits, cats, yikes!

I didn't join in with the snap peas challenge. Half-way thought about it, then didn't find the seeds. Just bought regular pea seeds, going in the ground soon, here in Vermont, with bears and dear and coyotes and no fence. Did fine with my garden in Albany (NY), city garden, just birds, cats and squirrels as predators (and a fence). Want to see how it does in SW Vermont. No high hopes.

Kate

March 27, 2009 at 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Jak said...

You're famous now--thanks to MENews! Thanks for directions to your blog. I'm in zone 5 MO--no peas growing here yet. After some days of warm spring weather, we're waiting for a snowstorm to move in today.

March 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Shopping Blog said...

There is not going to links of london uk happen such a difficulty that you can't find cheap links of london bracelet an identical topaz jewelry according to your costume. cheap links of london charms It is monitored that besides the reality that it's a links of london watch uk great present to gift, it's also preferred by many people just for the links of london ring uk sake of an inclusion to their own jewelry collection. However, links of london necklaces uk if you'd really like to satisfy your partner and guarantee that she adores your present on this special date.

August 16, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home