Friday, February 20, 2009

socks, among other things

Well folks, the weekend is moments away and I bought new socks. The combination of these two things have slapped a smile on my face (I am a very easy girl to make happy). On my lunch break I stopped over at Whitman's Feed and bought a bale of straw, a twenty-pound bag of dog food, and a super-thick pair of cold-weather Carhartt boot socks. Sitting here at my desk I am giddy with the thought that in a few hours all the farm chores will be done and I will be in front of my fireplace picking my banjo in the transcendent comfort that can only be stirred up by farm chores and warm socks. Socks that will feel twice as warm because I had just lined the sheep shed and chicken coop with a straw bedding, which I will undoubtedly enjoy with them. See, I started this little ritual of plopping down on the clean straw right after I lay it and spending some time with the birds. I sit there and check on their overall health, and watch them go about their lives in the glow of the coop's heat lamp while the snowy night outside howls and blows. It's comforting really. Our special avian-fort, warm and earthy, safe and glowing. My little omelet house.

So tonight I'll haul straw, feed the crew, pat some sheep on the head and then sit down and play some music. A perfect Friday night. And with the socks, well shucks, that just tips the scales in the favor of bliss. Like I said, I am a very easy girl to make happy.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Sandy Jones - Omaha said...

Life is good.

February 20, 2009 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

sandy! i got the patch at work today! what a random, cool, thing to have delivered.

February 20, 2009 at 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I have a drawer full of thick winter socks (for hiking in the Adirondacks), some with original tags still on them, never worn. Could have dropped some off on my next trip to my cabin in VT.

I agree with Sandy -- life is good.

But I sure sense a deficit in my knowledge about running a place like yours, the responsibility for feeding right all types of animals.

I hope you enjoy the time by the fire and playing the music. I walked to the corner store and got a beer, and hear my 4 year old German shepherd asleep with his head in my lap as I write.

Have a good weekend!

February 20, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

My feed store doesn't sell socks. Gosh durnit. :(

February 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Kelli in CT said...

I just finished reading your book (in one sitting) and I LOVED it! I've been fantasizing about homesteading for the a while now and living in a condo, didn't think I could start before moving to a house until I read your book. Thank you for giving me the direction (read: kick in the butt) that I needed. Oh, I was happy to read that you got your sheep!!!!
-Kelli in CT

February 20, 2009 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Jenna your Friday night sounds fabulous. I am going to finish knitting some socks, Friday night is sock night!

February 20, 2009 at 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM WANTING TO LEARN TO KNIT SOCKS. BOUGHT WOOL YARN ON SALE AND AM LOOKING FOR A SIMPLE PATTERN. I AM TRYING TO TEACH MYSELF AND HAVE MODERATE KNITTING SKILLS. WINTER SEES A GOOD TIME TO KNIT.

February 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Anonymous: I looked around and found this one http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksbasic.htm which has some good info and it is easy to follow. I hope this helps!

February 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home