Friday, February 13, 2009

seedlings, songs, and goslings

Last weekend I planted my first seeds for the growing season. I start early, crazy early really. I know I should wait till May like all the normal people, but I like my rogue spring attempts. There is something cavalier about going out there with a hoe when you still need winter boots. I like the faux-parenting of covering the sprouts with newspaper to protect them from frost, and knowing it's a team effort to make early food happen that locally. Plus, having those early spring salads always taste like heaven after such a long winter away from my own backyard produce mart. So, Soon as the dirt thaws in late March I move my peas, greens, onions, and broccoli outside. Soon after that potatoes hit the soil, and from there it's a downhill run into summer. I can't wait to get my fingernails dirty again.

Right now however, those seeds I planted are just babes. They are sprouting In a small Jiffy greenhouse I bought for $2.29 at Home Depot. Inside it I have peat pots teaming with butter crisp, romaine, and broccoli and a few days ago they started to sprout. I don't know what it is about seedlings, but just having them on the kitchen table has transformed the mood of the cabin. What was once a dark, quiet, borderline sordid place is now feeling lighter and happier. Between the new green kids and the twang of my hobo banjo the world seems strangely optimistic around these parts. Not a bad vibe to get from some 99-cent seed packets and some dirt caddies. Considering the average 50-minute hour with a therapist would set us back a crisp Benjamin - it's nice to know you can alter your serotonin levels for $11.87 at the garden center. So, there's that.

Don't worry. I didn't jump the gun and plant any peas. That will happen on the 15th, along with all of you fine people. Get pumped, son.

Oh, and I have some exciting news! Saro, my goose has not left her nest in days. I think she is going to try and hatch the egg she is camped out on. She is dead set on giving this incubation thing a real college try. I haven't disturbed her, and if I so much as nudge her to check she instantly goes right back to setting. Man oh man, if her and Cyrus raise a gosling here at Cold Antler I will be thrilled. My Toulouse geese are possibly my favorite fowl, and to know I was able to raise a breeding pair right here in Vermont, well that would be a considerable victory in itself. Not too bad for a Mid February weekend: seedlings, mountain music, and possible goslings. Things are certainly looking up.

Oh, and I added a Saro shirt to the store, in case anyone needs a goose that supports green energy, as their own garment. Just a head's up.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love geese. Of all the birds out there I think they are the friendliest and the smartest. I used to have a pet Chinese goose named Woodstock who followed me every where. I miss not having them around and love when the geese are migrating so that I get to see them again.

February 13, 2009 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Vermonster said...

Hey Jenna,

First let me thank you for posting about your adventures in learning music.
Now, as a Vermonter, who now lives in Florida, I must officially welcome you to cabin fever. Yes, planting seeds this early on is well crazy, but you will have your lettuce before everyone else. I used to start my seeds more toward mid to end of March for my 1 acre garden. Yes it was an acre when I lived in Vermont. Now, I'm trying to start an 8 x 4 square foot garden because you can't grow much in sand.
Keep up the stories. We do live somewhat vicariously through you.

Vermonster

February 13, 2009 at 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is cool but I am holding out for a chicken tee.

February 13, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
OpenID steelkitten said...

You're not alone. I've been desperate to plant something for about six weeks now - there's no way I can wait until April/May. Luckily I have a sun room on the house that gets tons of light so this weekend I'm head down in a heated propagator.

It would be wonderful if Saro becomes a mum. Baby animals always raise the spirits and their antics are great to watch and photograph! My fingers are crossed for you....

February 14, 2009 at 12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it seems that spring is around the corner for Coldantlerfarm. I don't know if you have already use these techniques but cold frame (generally made from used board and used window available from any remodeling company for free and hot bed seems to be a good way to stretch your growing season without investing in an expensive greenhouse.

I hope Saro will hatch a couple goose ling for you, they will e the first bird born at coldantlerfarm I believe. I know you are veggie but apparently you don't mind raising animal for us meat lover. Saro's goose ling might become another source of cash for your farm after the bunnies, here in Mn dressed goose goes for 70 $ around Xmas, I don't know the market in Vermont but I bet that pastured raised goose might be a hit over there.

Good week end

February 14, 2009 at 3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home