Monday, February 16, 2009

patches

I would just like to say before I posted this I was sitting in front of the fireplace learning a clawhammer rendition of Wayfaring Stranger on the banjo while simotaneously watching deleted scenes from the Office Season 2 on DVD. I think that pretty much sums up my life right now.

Moving on.

I like patches. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I was once girl scout (currently lapsed)? Or maybe it's the neat embroidery? Perhaps they're just more interesting and less annoying than buttons? Regardless, I like patches. I pick them up from places I've been, or from clubs I do and do not belong to. One of my favorites is an old Moose Lodge patch I found on the back of an old order-member vest. (It is huge and awesome). I take these finds and sew them into my life. I stitch them on plain hoodies or shirts to spice them up, make them feel more like me. I have an old police badge patch from Weiser* Idaho sewn onto the left sleeve of a blue plaid cowboy shirt, and that one really strikes my fancy. Someone once told me it was "illega" but I doubt anyone will confuse a short swarthy girl hauling hay in southern Vermont with an Idaho police officer... I sleep fine about that choice.

Anyway, I like how they add a homegrown personalization to things without being very specific. They make things your own, special, fun. If I ever get married, instead of bags of almonds or candles, everyone is getting a boyscout-style wedding patch with a deer head on it and some corny fireworks or rockets (or something like that) that says "Blank and Jenna's True Love Jamboree 2014!"** I am certain that idea isn't mine, but I can't remember the source to lend proper credit, so let's pretend I was being orginal there.

* Weiser Idaho is where the world-renowned Old Time Fiddle competition is held.
**Optimism

16 Comments:

Blogger FarmerGeek said...

That's an awesome idea. I wish we had done that for our wedding! As an Eagle Scout and a former Assistant Scoutmaster, that would have been so fitting!

Darn, awesome idea, I hope you do it!

February 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the true love jamboree was a wedding featured in ReadyMade years ago.

February 16, 2009 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

That's where I saw it! Thank you Anonymous.

February 16, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger woodwright prochaska said...

I, too, have a strong background in scouting, and would love to start some type of adult scouting program. Merit badges would certainly be awarded for "canoing" and "first-aid training", as well as "wine-making from home" and "vermi-composting" badges. Monthly weekend retreats to the country would be the same as scouts. but with alcohol.

February 16, 2009 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Dixiebitch said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 16, 2009 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Bible Babe said...

Hi Jenna, this has nothing to do with patches, but since I am unable to locate your email address on the site--I thought I would just ask here. I am sure it is right under my nose, but I can't FIND it! I have some questions, and would appreciate your email address. Thanks, and BTW, LOVED THE BOOK!
Bible Babe

February 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

BB - jenna@itsafarwalk.com

my email is listed on the right sidebar under "electronic post" Can you guys not see the right side bar, cause a lot of people ask that? I should make it more prominent. For some people (depending on your screen resolution) it's pushed to the bottom...

February 16, 2009 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger becca jo said...

rock on! we have an awesome surplus store in st. paul called Ax-Man, i always check their patch bins for good examples to sew them onto my stuffed animals....

February 16, 2009 at 5:12 PM  
Blogger Ria said...

jenna! i adored your book, and i finally got around to finding your blog. i'm glad to see more of the same!

(i'm not kidding. your book made me laugh, and cry, on the bus of all places, and i didn't care because i was having a grand ole time!)

i actually thought of your blog and googled your name after i found and looked through the pioneer woman's website. she reminds me of you! if you haven't seen it, it's definitely work a look. =)

February 16, 2009 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Ria said...

oh. too bad you can't edit comments, because if i could, at the end of the second paragraph, i'd profusely THANK you for writing your book.

thank you, profusely, for writing your book, jenna. <3

February 16, 2009 at 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Annie said...

Love the patches. I always feel too self conscious to do stuff like this. Maybe it's a generational thing.

As for seeing things on the blog...some of the type is wee little teeny tiny type. And some of us ain't as young as we used to be. (1280x800 pixels on, I think, a 14" monitor). I'm not saying you should change, I'm just sayin'...

February 16, 2009 at 5:59 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

hey jenna,

just was reading your green mountain old time association blog, i was wondering if you knew where i could get info on learning the dulcimer? you had mentioned a student dulciner? feel free to e-mail me at silentbodhi@hotmail.com

Jason

February 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Amanda said...

i want to be a girl scout again so bad it hurts. i agree with woodright prochaska.

February 16, 2009 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Patches are great! I still have my camp blanket/poncho with all my Girl Guide badges sewn on. It's cool to know you were a Girl Scout! Is that where you found your love of the outdoors? Guides is where I found mine. (Guides is Canadian Girl Scouts)

February 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

girl scouts is where i wandered off into the woods on camping trips and scared the brownie leaders/ got in troubel. I was in it for the camping and campfires. I have summer camp memories that are pretty great.

February 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Kitty Cat Bandit said...

I saw the wedding patch idea in an old issue of ReadyMade magazine, and thought it was rather creative.

I have a Wildlife Prairie Park patch (the park is near Peoria, IL) and wore it to the raptor center where I volunteer recently...it confused some of the visitors that day, but I kind of felt like a bad ass.

February 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home