Wednesday, February 18, 2009

i'll be inside

Things at the farm are quiet. That kind of lazy quiet you roll into this time of winter. Besides a hopeful goose, some miserable vibrating bees, kitchen seedlings, and the regular gang of chickens standing on the porch—not much is happening at Cold Antler. The big news of the day is we're expecting a few inches of snow tonight, and I'm actually really excited about that. You wouldn't think after such a long winter I'd still be looking forward to fresh snow (specially after all the bitching I've been doing lately) But I am. I'm a sucker for the aesthetics. Everything just looks nicer after a fresh coating, and when you've been looking at chicken poo and dirty yellow dog snow all week, it's a borderline morale boost to see it all pristine again. Hell, even the sheep look cleaner after it snows. So tonight I am looking forward to coming home, tending to the animals and then doing nothing but reading inside with hot coffee while the weather turns. Strike a fire, raise up a fiddle, scratch a dog's ears and let it snow.

I think people like us enjoy simple comforts. People who homestead (or people who aspire to) seem happiest when they realize all they need to feel content is a warm place to read with good lighting and an oversized sweater. Throw in something hot to sip and we're beyond set, blissful really. It doesn't matter if we're in midtown Manhattan or a cabin in the woods—that disposition is hardwired in us to relish in such basic activity. The sadistic part about it is we like it so much more if we just walked 13 blocks in driving snow, or chopped wood for 2 hours, or did something equally grueling because such basic rest is so much better when it's deserved. We're a little twisted in that way, old-fashioned even. Us highlanders like our rest when we suffered for it.

But hey, we're not monastic. We still like all the shiny distractions, blockbuster movies, and fast cars the rest of the world gawks at... but generally we can all agree on the merits of forgetting about all that awful business for a snowy night, our guitars, and a good book. For a while we forget iPhones ever existed. It's a nice vacation.

If you need me, I'll be inside.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Wow. It's 73 degrees here, and basically "Spring" for us. The hard, steady work has already started. Gardens must go in NOW. Seedlings and nursery starts are waiting patiently. More animals are coming soon, and their quarters aren't ready. I can't remember the last time I had a chance to just sit and read. I've literally been outside swinging a pick ax for the last hour. So even with pressing tasks piling up, I think I'm shelving it all tonight to take a well-deserved break!

-Tara in Texas

P. S. - my Pea Challenge shirt arrived today! I wear it with pride.

February 18, 2009 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

oh how did it turn out? is the quality okay? I am ordering a mug for the office for certain.

I love that people read this blog when it is 73 degrees. Man. I can actually hear the wind howling outside, and i just got in from feeding everyone, al caked in snow.

if you ever need a break from the heat, you know a girl by some ski slopes.

February 18, 2009 at 6:28 PM  
Anonymous Sandy from Omaha said...

I have to agree with you. We got about 7" of snow on Friday and it was beautiful. Here it is 5 days later, and I'm really disappointed that it's almost gone. The wind and the sun have taken their toll on that lovely white landscape.

February 18, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the snow for two reasons. It makes everything look clean and there's a peaceful quiet after a snowfall, and because up here it also means that it's warmed up a little. After sunshine and -18 deg. cloudy skies, snow and 20 deg. is a nice break from the bitter cold.

February 18, 2009 at 11:08 PM  
Blogger Mama said...

Amen Son;)

February 19, 2009 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

The shirt looks good! Now if I can just make some peas happen...

February 19, 2009 at 1:14 PM  
OpenID mountainchicken said...

"happiest when they realize all they need to feel content is a warm place to read with good lighting and an oversized sweater. Throw in something hot to sip and we're beyond set, blissful really"

Amen, sister. Preach it.

February 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger denny said...

I was just thinking about how incredibly happy I am when I'm puttering around my cabin. In fact, at the moment I had the thought I was just making vegetable soup on my wood burning stove. Pure joy. I'm sometimes amazed at just how happy I can be doing little more than looking out the window at the birds and drinking coffee or cooking or eating. and in the spring there is nothing like sitting on the porch and enjoying a cool breeze as the spring peepers and other frogs fill the night with their songs.

February 20, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home