Thursday, February 5, 2009

i tell myself things

My morning started with lugging bales of hay in the -4 degree weather. Hefting the 40-pounds bales over my shoulder, I carried them across the farm to the sheep pen from their hibernation in the garage. After a few trips my arms hurt like hell and I was barking for coffee. Caffeine addiction aside - I don't mind the extra morning efforts that running a small farm entails. Honestly, I look forward to a morning with literal purpose. If I sleep in there are consequences. I like knowing there is a small empire outside my cabin door that depends on me. Everyone needs something that depends on them.

With a scarf and headphones the cold becomes obsolete. Time flies while I'm stepping over chickens and pouring grains for the sheep with the aid of Wilco. Still, that doesn't (shouldn't) mean it was wise try to get it all done before work. I knew I was out of hay late last night, but inside the couch was beyond comfortable and Annie and I had already dedicated the night to reading and ear scratching. I couldn't possibly break our date for a nighttime hay-haul. I tell myself things.

So thing morning I did the chore. It would've been fine had I not decided to wear a skirt today. I spent a lot of the morning trying to manage constrained thighs, snow boots, and shoulders-of-hurtin all at the same time'. Which worked - but caused little strands of hay to fall onto me, everywhere. I am the only women in the office pulling hay out of her bra and coffee mug at 9AM. But you'll have this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diana said...

quite the charming mental image, my dear. ;) (I totally get it. been there. done that.)

February 5, 2009 at 11:50 AM  
Anonymous The french mule rider said...

Hey Jenna,

Why don't you put your sled dog at work, I understand that they are eager to taste some meat but maybe they'll be able to drag a couple of hay bales like they did wit the wood(But I am sure you have already think about it. In the meantime maybe a jenny will be a good addition to Cold antler, Dogs and Coyotes protection from here and once hitched they can drag a lot of things ... I just rescue a nice one two weeks ago if you are looking for a cheap one (ok I live in Mn maybe it is not that cheap to get her to Vt...)

Xavier Aka the French mule rider (more likely the bus rider right now !!!)

PS : Maybe the next project for Cold Antler is a hay loft above the sheep penn ....

February 5, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Ava Apple said...

oh my gawd...i thought i was the ONLY one who "told myself things"...wow...thank you
i'm not totally alone out here!

February 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I routinely track straw and chicken poop into my marble-floored city office. ;-)

February 6, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger Vermonster said...

Hey Lady!
Saw your book yesterday at the Barnes and Noble in Merritt Island, Florida. Can't afford to grab it this week, maybe next. Will try to send you a picture when I do get it.
Made myself a blog yesterday about a Vermonter's sure to be ensuing trouble of trying to {homestead} in Central Florida.
If I don't plant peas as you suggest, is it ok if I plant some herbs instead? Gotta get my square foot garden ready to go, then plant the peas.
Luv your blog.

Marina

February 6, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home