Sunday, January 25, 2009

a winter sunday

That mug you're looking at is Sal's. Sal is by far the most gregarious of the flock and has never been camera shy. When I am at their pen filling up their grain bin or throwing down fresh straw, I let Sal out to walk around and nose the outter realms. He follows me around like a St. Bernard, puttering close behind, paying attention. Heck, he even comes with called. After we're done with our chores I can open the gate and he'll walk right back in (as long as I dumped the grain inside the pen, that is). I like him. He's a pretty dependable guy.

I wish I knew that when they first escaped and I had a near panic attack as they trotted around the yard. I was so worried they'd storm off into the woods. Now I know better. Sheep with a built in bed and breakfast aren't going anywhere. Even if they break out at 9 AM they will be standing in the driveway when I get home from work—waiting for me to light a lantern and let them back into the gate. They'll follow me single file (Maude last) and hope I let them back into their comfy shed they can't figure out how to return to. I feed them some hay, we talk, catch up, then I close the gate and repair the part of the fence they escaped through. That wasn't a great story, but you get the jist of our lives together.

So things are quiet here today. I am done with all the big outdoor chores and bread is rising on the kitchen table next to my laptop. I think all the animals are content. The dogs ran errands with me in Manchester and are now happily sleeping in the bedroom. The sheep got a new mineral block to gnaw on - so they're pumped. The birds have brand new nests already blueprinted out in their piles of fresh warm straw, and are laying as I type. The rabbits are being wooly, they don't say much. Soon the fireplace will be lit and I'll be horizontal on the floor in front of it, sprawled out on big quilts with two dogs and the three new Civil War books I wrangled up this week. Hello 1861.

I had two book signings yesterday. One was in Troy and the other was in Albany. I'll write more about them later (and Troy's AMAZING indoor farmer's market), but for now I just want to thank the readers who came out on a cold Saturday to get their books signed and say hello. It was a really special day for me because of the people who went out of their way to be there. My parents drove four hours to watch me "be an author" and Emily (my best friend from high school) surprised me by showing up at the Albany signing. Between family, friends, and blog readers I felt like I was just sitting with a bunch of people in my living room. Surrounded by people who already know me and just wanted to shake a hand and say hello. And when you're just meeting friends you haven't seen in person yet, it's bound to be a good time. So thanks again guys. I hope to meet a lot more of you out there. Massachusetts and Maine*, I'll see you in the sping.

*Not a sure thing, but probably.

11 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Hey Jenna, How about a book signing in or around Syracuse, New York, I would like to meet you.

January 25, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Jenna, I agree with Judy...how about someplace near Syracuse?? Love to meet you...
T.

January 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I don't know? Emily drove from Syrcuse to the Albany thing, she said it took two hours... That may be as close as I get for a bit. But come spring I'll be down in Troy for their riverside farmer's market, maybe a bunch of us coud meet up (since it's an hour and half from me) and market it up.

January 25, 2009 at 5:48 PM  
Blogger Shaun said...

I'm all about that farmers market in Troy. The only farmers market I have found that I like more is in Kingston. Great to meet you yesterday by the way.

January 25, 2009 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Let us know when you'll be at the market. Tami and I could take a day trip together.

January 25, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Andy said...

In case you haven't bought the Six Feet Under box set, amazon has it for $60.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/abdcuc

January 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

Jenna, i am sorry i missed seeing you yesterday in Troy...I got to my daughter's shop,right next door to the book store,and she informed me i had missed you already! For some reason i had the times mixed up and thought you would be there at 1:00. Bummer... I was at the Farmer's Market too. I go there every Saturday. I love it there...I hope to meet you there in the Spring! Maybe i'll remember to bring my book again too!

January 25, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous the french mule rider said...

Well I hope my friend in Albany did not forget to stop by and get a signed copy for me ....

January 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM  
Anonymous cathy said...

Have you read _Three Bags Full: A Sheep Detective Story_ by Leonie Swann? It's about a flock of sheep that solve a murder mystery in Ireland. Your post reminded me of a scene in the book where the flock gets lost and tries to find its way home. It's a very good book, and it's told from the point of view of the sheep.

January 26, 2009 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I own it Cathy!

January 26, 2009 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger Peacemom said...

Jenna, How about you come over to NH for a signing? I see Mass and Maine on your list, but what about us? I saw your book front and center in Barnes & Noble when I walked in the door. Like seeing my little sister's book there or something, a nice moment for me. Anyways, come on over here and sign some copies, we'd love to have you!

January 27, 2009 at 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home