Saturday, January 31, 2009

well rested and making plans

I am feeling much better. I came home from my dentist appointment (guess who's getting a root canal!) and promptly curled up and went to bed. I slept a long time, and I think it was the remedy. I woke up this feeling brand new, less cranky, and really cold? My quilts were all missing from the bed? Did I sleepwalk in some stress-induced trance and fold them into a closet? No, of course not, I'm not that interesting. Turns out Jazz took all the heavy blankets from my side of the bed and balled them into his own little nest some point during the night. Who's dog steals the covers?! Mine. Well, I was already up. Time to get this weekend started.

This Saturday will start like they all do, with EQX's Coffee House. It's two hours of wonderful—playing great acoustic singer-songwriters old and new, obscure to cult-adored. And guys, you can listen to it too. WEQX.com streams live, so even if you're in Florida, you can wake up to the same playlist. Nikki's got your back America.

While the radio keeps me company, there will also be lots of actual coffee. The percolator is on the stove right now heating up. I'm deciding if I want to whip up pancakes or not. I can't make up my mind between them and cinnamon oatmeal. It's a nice problem to have. Looks like we got a little snow last night, the farm seems cleaner. A nice observation to nod at. Snow aside, the sheep are up. Even in the kitchen I can hear their baaing out on the farm. They saw the porch light come on, and know that means some sucker will be out with hay shortly. They're right. Things here are fairly predictable.

Winter has been slow on the farm. The lack of actual farm-work has me writing too much about music, men, and my lack of banjos - things I usually would be too busy to think about. But since I'm snowbound without a garden, goslings, or anything to can - so you're going to have to put up with it till spring. By April I'll be far too dirty and busy with food and animals to bother with playlists and online dating.* But hey! It's almost February! That means certain plans are starting to fall into place. Now is the time to figure out the garden on paper, peruse hatchery catalogs (I am thinking of bringing back a few Silkie Bantams to my backyard. I miss them), order seeds, and plan breedings. The angoras will be having a spring litter in late March/April. That photo up there is of the first spring litter from last year. Just seeing it makes me wish I already had a nest of babes in the hutch. But that would be borderline animal cruelty, to breed a litter now without a heated hutch. But if anyone out there wants a fiber Easter bunny, I'm your girl. I'll put you on the breeding list. All of the CAF bunnies come with pedigrees, tattoos, food, and are beyond adorable. Plus, you get to have an animal you can also wear without skinning it. It's a win win.

This weekend is going to remain low key. Tomorrow I'll be playing music with some neigbors but besides a date for my fiddle - I remain a social nomad. No dating, no movies, or parties or what not. Just me, six acres, coffee and a white winter. I think tomorrow morning I'll make cinnamon rolls, and if the recipe gets the approval of my jam buddies, I'll share it here on the blog. I think I'm going to try making them with goose eggs since I have those in bulk right now, taking up space in the fridge. Oh, and as a side note: I am so impressed by the eggs I'm getting in the heart of winter. We can thank all the spring chicks for that. The old girls shut down their vents, but the new kids pump out 4-8 eggs a day. Me and my egg customers will wont for nothing. Well, wont for nothing that includes yokes. That's something, isn't it?

P.S. here is the link to the pancake recipe, for those who asked: Click here for some northern comfort

* I'll never be too busy for playlists. That was a bold-faced lie. Size 48 type.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna,
I have to tell you that I've tried your CAF pancake recipe and it's a hit here in Indiana! The kids love them... so far, I've made two batches x5 for the freezer. That first batch (x5) lasted about a month. They love it as the pancakes are available anytime they want them... and they're pancake thugs.
So for all you who haven't tried it... you're missing out!
~Lynnanne

January 31, 2009 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

lynnanne! that made my morning! so they are okay frozen too? genuis. freezers are homesteaders fast-food source!

January 31, 2009 at 8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it works! I will say that I used stone ground fine wheat flour, though (no organic on hand). It takes a couple hours from start to finish, and we end up with anywhere from 60 - 80 pancakes, depending on size, of course. I put them in quart-size freezer bags (and reuse them!) for smaller serving sizes. In the long run, it saves tons of time. If you go there, just be sure to let your cakes cool down before putting them in the plastic bags.
~ Lynnanne

January 31, 2009 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Ava Apple said...

Good morning!
Hey I am kinda new to the blog and missed the CAF pancake recipe...would you please, please take the time to post it again? Or is it possible to find it somewhere?
Jenna you are my first blog. I didn't understand the whole blog thing until I found you! Now I check in with you every morning even before reading my email! I love the way you write. I feel as though I am there with you. Wow. Are all blogs like this?
Thanks Jenna!
Ava

January 31, 2009 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

morning Ava, i posted a link back in the original post at the bottom. You can get it there, but you can always search for topics in the search bar at the top, just make sure you search just this blog and not all blogs, that is if you just want jenncentric posts anyway.

I don't know if all blogs are like this. Honestly, I just update a lot because i love writing and am growing fond of all the readers, i like involving you in my life. And i want it to feel like you're here on the farm alongside me when I write. so if that's how it is recieved (received? I can't spell) than GREAT!

January 31, 2009 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Shaun said...

Definitely go for the pancakes. I can't think of any other food on the face of this earth that I love more!!! Smothered in fresh butter and maple syrup goodness. Makes my tummy happy just thinking about it.

January 31, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger Ava Apple said...

Thanks Jenna for the recipe! I'm growing fond of you also!
Ava

January 31, 2009 at 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna,

This is no doubt a dumb question but for those of us who live in the south that might like to purchase a bunny or 2 from you, how (if at all) could we receive them. I know they ship chicks but rabbits???

I can only assume this is a hand-to-hand transaction but figured I would let you know that you have fans here in the mountains of western North Carolina (Asheville) that are interested just the same.

Tony

January 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

i miss asheville. i miss malaprops, your awesome coffee houses and record stores. i have a record of the postal service's give up hanging at work that i bought in asheville with my friend leif.

anyway, rabbits via air. i know people do it, i'll look into it. you may have to pay for their airfaire (like 40 bones) but we can probably do it.

January 31, 2009 at 5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna,

Glad you enjoyed some good times here in Asheville. Give us a heads up if/when you make a return visit.

Need to get a picture of your book (great read by the way). If you have a particular place you would like in the background here, I am up for giving it a shot!

Tony

January 31, 2009 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger Mare said...

Oh those bunnies are adorable!

January 31, 2009 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

tony! in front of the giant iron!

January 31, 2009 at 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will endeavor to have your book captured in picture in front of the flat iron of Asheville.

Once I have done so, what email address shall I send it to?

Tony

January 31, 2009 at 10:30 PM  
Blogger Harvest Moon Homestead said...

Hey, Jenna I live in Wisconsin. Would the bunnies survive a Wisconsin winter? Most of the time we still have snow then. How much are the buns? Do you know what colors they will be?

February 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

tony - jenna@itsafarwalk.com

as for shipping bunnies, i don't know if i'll do that... i think all bunnies will be pick-up here at Cold Antler. But i charge somewhere between $60 - $100 a rabbit based on their pedigrees. They are mostly fawn and lynx colored, or the ten I bred so far have been anyway.

February 1, 2009 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger denny said...

Hello from a fellow homesteader! My situation is similar to yours... just me and my sweet pup in a cabin on a bit of land in Missouri. Been here since last may when I started building the cabin. Got my gardens in as well as a food forest of apples, pears, plums, paw paw and more. This spring I'll be moving in some chickens and bees. Goats are in the plans too.

Love your blog and have been reading since I found it a couple weeks ago. WONDERFUL!!

February 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

thanks denny! and good luck with the chicks and bees. if you have any questions, feel free to email me about them. I envy your goats, i want some dairy goats but need to wait till i have a live-in milking buddy (read sucker boyfriend) and more space. Sheep for now!

February 1, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home